Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tips(for distances & speeds)

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 27 2020 3:39 AM (6 replies)
  • IJACK21
    49 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 7:38 AM

putting speed & distances

This is simple and has always worked for me....

You'll know what type of green you'll be shooting by looking at the highest-tier member of your group.  If that is a master, greens will be Very Fast.  If there is a Tour Master, that will be Tournament.  If there is a Legend, the greens will say "TOURNAMENT" BUT IN FACT THEY ARE LEGEND TOURNAMENT GREENS, SO BE AWARE.

Slow = -10%

Standard = add 2 ft to putting distance

Fast = deduct 4 ft from putting distance 

Very Fast = deduct 7 ft from putting distance

Tournament Speed = deduct 10 ft from putting distance

Legend Tournament Speed = deduct 11 ft from putting distance

• OtiFernandez
    2 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 3:16 AM

Slow= -10%

What do you consider a slow green?

And what does that -10% means?

Thanks in advance

• IJACK21
    49 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2016 3:26 PM

There are no more slow greens that I can find. (Except maybe on a practice green).

What does -10% means?  Subtract  .10 from your putting distance.    

Example: 40 ft putt minus .10 = Makes your proper putting distance to be 39.9 ft  .

This putt should  get you very close to the hole (and maybe in it too) On a slow green.

(also make sure that you adjust for proper elevation too)

OtiFernandez:

Slow= -10%

Thanks in advance

• IJACK21
    49 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2016 3:49 PM

There are no slow greens anymore that I can find. There was some years ago.

What does that -10% means?

if you did find a putting green where the speed on it was slow you would subtract

.10 percent from the putting distance.

Example: a 40 foot putt minus .10 percent would make the putt 39.9 feet. This distance on a slow green should get you close to the hole or even in it.

(Note: make sure you adjust for elevation (feets up or down) and the angle too.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2016 3:53 PM

IJACK21:
    Tournament Speed = deduct 10 ft from putting distance

So for a 6-foot putt, I hit the putt like it's... negative 4 feet in length?

OK. I'll give that a shot and see how it works.

Seriously. You've totally lost me. I suppose that's not too difficult to do. But I have no idea what you're trying to say.  And no offense intended, but should you really be giving putting advice? 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2016 3:54 PM

OtiFernandez:
    Slow= -10%

These are greens indicated as "Slow" in the top right corner.

OtiFernandez:

This means to reduce the putting power by 10%. But, it's bad advice IMHO, as most of these tips are bad advice.

The only proper advice is for Standard greens. There, the putting power will translate to the same putting distance 1 / 1. E.g., if you pull the meter to 20% on a 50 ft scale, the putt will go 20% of 50 ft: 10 ft. Thus, in order to hit a ball into the hole at 8 ft, you hit it for two more = 10 ft which is 20% on a 50 ft scale. The two extra feet are to savely reach the full distance.

The other green speeds differ by 10 % from each other, in the top by 5%.

"Slow" needs 10% MORE power, so you'd have to another .8 ft power to that 8 ft putt: 10.8 ft.

On faster greens, you'd have to deduct power, but rather in % of the distance than by a certain value. If you deduct 7 ft on a fast green from the 10 ft power necessary for the 8 ft putt, the balls would stop after 3.3 ft ((10-7)+10%), and so forth.

And then there are the elevation slopes - another story...

There are a whole bunch of better putting tips - start with WGT's elaboration on the right =>

• GUP493C
    6 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2020 3:39 AM

I'm playing an ultra slow 2 green in a tournament WTF is that all about? I'm hitting it distance x3 Where is the fun in that?

RSS