Help › Forums

Re: WEDGES

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:50 AM (24 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2016 8:08 PM

YankeeJim:
    Try full back spin with a full swing. It makes that 64W incredibly accurate and stops it with a little hop. 50-60 out becomes a genuine hole-out scenario.

I'll try it out. In the past, however, I've found that full back spin with that wedge spins the ball back too far for me. But I'll play with it some more. I'll admit that I'm still learning when to use back spin, when to use top spin, and when to just leave it alone. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:56 AM

Robert1893:
    I've found that full back spin with that wedge spins the ball back too far for me.

The odd bit here is that it used to. When that wedge first came out, bs made it go nuts. Then, when WGT changed the shot from the  rough characteristics and took away the spin, they also took away this wild backup and ever since then, full back spin actually stops the ball whereas the partial spin is now what causes that wild back up.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2016 8:29 AM

Robert1893:

YankeeJim:
    Try full back spin with a full swing. It makes that 64W incredibly accurate and stops it with a little hop. 50-60 out becomes a genuine hole-out scenario.

I'll try it out. In the past, however, I've found that full back spin with that wedge spins the ball back too far for me. But I'll play with it some more. I'll admit that I'm still learning when to use back spin, when to use top spin, and when to just leave it alone. 

Jim is correct here Robert (although I am loathe to admit it lol)-here is a useful chart using Cleve 64 degree wedge (rated 60 yards) for full shot/full backspin; as well as pitch shot, with full backspin. Lethal once you master it...

Full

Pitch

45%

50%

55%

60%

65%

70%

75%

80%

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Aug 26 2016 1:34 PM

Did someone not show/prove that the cleveland with full bs hits the green, stops and continues to spin for a while onthe spot without ever gripping and coming back?

My memory's thruppence ha'pennyworth.

RSS