Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Bethpage #15 Pro tees

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 18 2009 9:23 AM (4 replies)
  • seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 6:07 AM

Anyone have a strategy that works for this hole? How much yardage to add on from fairway to get it on the green?

This hole is ruining my rounds!!!!

• Gloveberg
    55 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 5:30 PM

I can only speak for myself.  This hole gives me fits as well but the decent scores I have had on #15 were from laying up to about 75 yards and then dropping a wedge short of the pin.  Above the pin is a severe downhill putt and to either side is a rough breaker.  Keeping it a short distance below the hole for an uphill putt and escape with a par is my basic strategy.

• lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 10:23 PM

Can't speak for anyone else, but my solution is to aim for left bunker or rough below pin and flop it up.  Have actually birdied the hole, and pars are not uncommon at all.  Can come away with a bogey and feel good about it.  Just got tired of putting side to side for double bogey or worse.   Remember to set cursor a yard or so to left of pin.  The two clubs offerred require different distances to the left.  You're on your own figuring out distance, but % of rough is pretty accurate.

Anyone who has played with me knows that I like the flop shot (except for ocean course).  My few eagles have come from flopping on the par 5's at BPB (except for that one that accidentally went in off the tee).

Hope that helps somebody shave a stroke off of the dreaded  #15...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 4:49 AM

Another option is to aim left & back of pin, then let the ball roll back. See the replay on my profile page, titled Approach on Bethpage 15 – let ball roll back!.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 9:23 AM

Par is a good score here. This and 5 played the hardest in the US Open. Get good at sticking your wedge and play for an up and down save. Hit long left and roll it back but that's tricky and you get stuck with an ugly curve-in. I like to hit below the flagand take the par   :p

As for good with the wedges, I like the Satins and carry 3 of them (at the expense of the 3w I seldom use.) Those, with that nice long driver, let you play to a strong short game. GL

RSS