Re: quitters

Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:05 AM (53 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 12:59 AM

grady3rd:

x1524807:

I never quit until I started playing alternate

You pick a partner. Says he is a master with a 65 avg, and you think that this will make a good partner. Then you start the game, and every shot you take is out of the rough or the sand, and you begin to think that this guy is to heavy to carry around for 9 holes, so you quit.

One thing I do is tell the fool that I cannot continue playing from a part of a golf course that I have never seen before, and then I quit, and then I go back and forfeit the game

Well there you go.  Congratulations, YOU are the perfect example of a poor sport.  You pick a partner and then when you realize that you might not have a chance to win due to his/her poor play, you quit the game.  Every game has 2 possible outcomes, you either win or you lose.  If you can't accept that some of your attempts will result in a loss, then maybe you should just play alone.  And believe me, I know exactly what you mean about being on the short end of the stick sometimes.  I've had partners (they're usually Tour Pro's with little experience, such as yourself) that not only played poorly and mishit shots, they attempted shots that had no chance of success to begin with.  I try to suffer it with some dignity and while you won't find me publicly humiliating someone for a bad play, I might just stay quiet and play on without comment. 

Attitudes like yours are an indication that you haven't yet attained the maturity needed to persevere in the face of adversity, and rather than play the cards you're dealt, you choose to throw them away and start all over with a fresh set. Shame on you for your poor sportsmanship, and for thinking that you're such an elite player that you can't have your time wasted with an inferior partner.  

Wow...This is a very good reply Grady...Well done m8!! :)

In the Alt shot games, I click the 'Join a Group' and most of the time I find myself at the top of the list and have to pick teams (I hate picking teams...lol) , but always try to make the game even between the teams...

As you said sometimes you pick partners who have a few problems during the game, but I don't care about that...just a game to have fun and I usually say to em..relax..lol....I play the game to win, but have fun at the same time.

I think that some high ave. players, when partnered with a Low Ave golfer...they start to get a bit nervous ( Like I did once...lol). Now I have the problem of being embarrassed when I play a bad shot...hmmm.

But no excuse for quitting, if you are playing terrible...let the game run it's course....We all play to win...but if you lose...doesn't matter...take your medicine...and come back later....easy.

Cheers

Roger

• Bogeysux74
    3 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:05 AM

I had a similar situation happen to me as well. We had went into extra holes and then my computer froze. It took me a while to even get my computer to shut down. But now I feel like those who were in the game think that I quit. I have sent personal messages out to explain the situation but have not received a response. Just hope that I have a chance to play with this guys again in order to explain myself.

On add to the topic, the alternate shot game can become quite a pain to any player. Many times I have found that you get a group started, the first player tees off & then you a forced back to the start because the game is locked & everyone has to reconnect. I really enjoy the game when it runs smoothly but that doesn't happen all that often. WGT...May want to check into that as I am sure that there are many posts regarding this issue.

• DaveLloyd180
    16 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:15 AM

Correct!

The developers have 2 choices -

1. Let QUITTERS  (may the flies of a thousand camels et.c.)  continue and end up losing Paying Customers through frustration.

2. Do something about it (which would probably involve some penalty for "leaving a game without good reason"!)

I know which way I'd go - but I don't know how the DB is written (apart from it using crappy FLASH Stuff)

Dave

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Apr 24 2011 7:54 AM

Some people just think quitting avoids losing, when in fact a quitter is the biggest loser.

RSS