Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What do you guys think of Pinehurst?

Fri, Dec 9 2016 3:14 AM (29 replies)
  • SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2016 7:08 AM

I remember my first parking lot tees round there. You've got to be kidding me was going through my head almost every hole.

After many rounds, and banging my head on my keyboard, I finally figured out the greens. Which ones to stay right or left of the pin. Which ones to shoot long or short. My pitch shots saved quite a few pars.

Like someone else stated, spin there can wreck you, depending on the shot. 

Patience there is a virtue. Confidence in your shots a must. 

I've learned to appreciate Pinehurst for what it is. A test of your skills. 

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Tue, Aug 2 2016 1:38 PM

The key for me to playing well here is to take good course notes.   There are at least 3 or 4 shots into greens that play different distances than they show, two of the par 3 holes as well. 

In addition there are several shots into greens, for example #5 that you simply have to keep 3 feet right of the pin.  Other holes have approach shots that move left or right on the green and you need to know that.   Once you develop good course notes, I think Pinehurst plays right in the middle of the pack on the WGT courses.

It is a fun course to play and can be difficult.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, Aug 3 2016 6:45 PM

YankeeJim:

MulliganWilly:
    Those greens always roll off.

WGT did something good when they mapped out that course-they enhanced the green definitions AND the various slopes on the greens. Pay attention to the shaded areas of the greens-those are the low spots and will direct your ball accordingly, usually off the green unless you're playing up to the pin. 

This may help you plan your approaches...........

Never tried playing PH with Chambers Bay greens schematic- might be something to that, Jim...  >smile<

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2016 6:43 PM

The trick is just find a way to par the fourth hole and its 14 million light years of length. 

If that is done the rest is easy

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 5:24 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:

The trick is just find a way to par the fourth hole and its 14 million light years of length. 

I agree with this.  Imo Pinehurst is one of the top 3 easiest courses (along with Congressional and BPB).  I score much better on these courses than St Andrews (by quite a few strokes actually).

And to those saying don't use backspin here - you be crazy lol.  I use FULL BS on the vast majority of my shot here.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 4:13 PM

11BC2:

MrFunnyWobbl:

I agree with this.  Imo Pinehurst is one of the top 3 easiest courses (along with Congressional and BPB).  I score much better on these courses than St Andrews (by quite a few strokes actually).

And to those saying don't use backspin here - you be crazy lol.  I use FULL BS on the vast majority of my shot here.

100% with you 

Course is easy 

Spin all irons in 

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 11:35 PM

not a hard course, but then again those turtle back greens can ruin a round easily.  worst thing wrong is it is actually a boring course, simular to the boring factor at oakmont, greens are the only real challange..  my nickle.

• 123tbone
    3 Posts
    Sat, Aug 20 2016 5:37 PM

i havent played since 2013.I have all these slope lines on the green,How would I delete them.I cant even see the flag,lol thanks

• TomasBolanos
    999 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 4:32 PM

I like Pinehurst.  It is more realistic than most because it incorporates all of Donald Ross' false fronts so you get marginal shots rolling off the greens into waste areas.  Also the rough, being all sand and waste areas can be quite penal just like the real course.  I have played Pinehurst #2 several times and I find the games version of the course to be very realistic.  It is enjoyable and if you are smart and don't go for sucker pins and play for the middle of the green, it can be very easy.   But one errant drive and turn into a double or triple bogey in a hurry.

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Fri, Dec 9 2016 3:14 AM

8802:

By taking dead aim at the flagsticks, you are taking the bait, don't be a sucker.  Take notes and learn where you can and can't be and you'll do fine.

Damn, why do I find this when it's too late.

Yet another way to leave the green, when you thought you'd seen them all!

Landing on top of the thing.

Yet another reason to dislike the place.

Cheers!

Rich

RSS