Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Musical (?) interlude

Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:28 AM (43 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 10:53 AM

Damian, thanks very much, you're too kind.  Used to visit the HC forums, especially the gear-related ones...seems like there was one particular forum that would get hotter than a firecracker because HC didn't censor anything in those days...don't know if they've changed at all but that particular forum was entertaining to say the least.

Bubbs, very kind of you to say, and glad you're enjoying the vid!

As far as tubes (valves to you blokes across the pond) I've always favored NOS or slightly used old stock pulls when I can get them.  They're usually available from reputable sources on ebay but one has to be careful.

I've got a dresser drawer full of NOS and used power tubes, preamp tubes and rectifiers that will probably outlive me...need to put you guys who play in my will so they'll be put to good use.  ;-)

My go-to source for tubes for years has been Mike at KCA NOS Tubes:

https://www.kcanostubes.com/

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:10 AM

Solarflares:

Beware using JJ power-tubes  Jim.

People have reported firework-displays inside the valve and early-models small-pin designs burning-out valve-bases.

here's a report on Bob at Eurotubes from a forum..................................................

quote :-          

Bob at Eurotubes is probably the worst guy out there. He's a great salesman though... like a used car salesman in the movies. He's probably blown up more amps then anyone out there. I remember reading his arguments with Peavey about certain of his tubes he was recommending to run in the XXX... Peavey was saying it would ruin the amp, he'd argue they were fine. After a few hundred or so amps blew up, he started blaming Peavey... for using the industry standard screen resistor. Peavey kindly fixed hundreds of amps... Bob just walked away from the whole mess.

He got caught having a half dozen identities on the Peavey owned forum, where he'd recommend his own tubes to each other and talk about how great they were... then sent out lots of PMs not to buy Peavey tubes, but to buy from some great guy who just happened to only carry JJ tubes (himself), because they were just "that good."

Unquote.

Right now there is only one new ecc83/12ax7 that cuts it and that is this one............

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=4144

For the Vox AC15 EL-84 power-stage there is only one choice................

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1955

Although I'd be happier with these ......................

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=872

Watford valves have a rig set-up for Brian May's tubes and  all valves are fully tested , burnt-in , cryo-treated and then hand-selected for gain and microphony.  I would seriously doubt if Brian has actually touched a valve since 1971.

Here's a Harma kit for the AC15..............

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=3801

Great hear ya in feller,

I do accept Bob is one fine salesman for suuuuure:)

Flippin nice bloke to talk with but certainly selling.  I will say I ordered a 12AX7 from him for my Fender Champ 600 (chinese), and the fker was so long no way would an alnico speaker have fitted.  IMHO it did add a tad warmth to thestock, and as a b ack the stock remained fine.  

EL84 wise (my Vox AC15) I was struggling to see why I bothered, but one spare set valves (tubes) no issues with.

Certainly loads of tube sellers telling us all how much difference a new tube (valve) makes, and mostly it's BS :) 

True story on the head of Vox bit though.  Spoke first hand and he said Brian May basically cared naught, just next one in the bucket.  For sure I am sure Brian never actually fiddled with the mechanics of changing a light bulb, like the rest of us peasants, but main point was he never cared.

Had the tubes from Bob for ages, and never an issue.  I will say he does give advice on how to bias amps, and I wonder how fkwits have fked that part up? (edit Obv no biassing vox ac15 or champ I have, but my higher powered stuff done with care of course).

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:17 AM

One thing i will say, i have not got the tune out of my head since the other day pmsl

Honestly lol. As we all know that tends to happen.

But thats good as i love it, which is better than the other week when i was in the pub with my son and "The Riddle" by Nik Kershaw came on some TV music show!!!!. I explained that it was my era, mmmmmmmm.........

For a full week i had that going round and round ffs ;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:28 AM

Indeed, those worms crawl into your ear and one can only hope they're benign...have experienced what you're talking about since as far back as I can remember, and it's hell when they're not so pleasant!

RSS