Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Distance Calculation with Advanced Balls (other than the Starter Ball)

Mon, Jun 27 2016 1:54 PM (31 replies)
  • GirnBlanston
    648 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 9:09 PM

EEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH   WRONG AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking that hitting the same way under the same conditions will produce the same results in this game is a pot of fool's gold.  Some holes play much longer than yardage and some much shorter.  The only consistency to this game is its inconsistency.

• dryspot
    690 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 11:04 AM

Amen 2 that bro.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2016 12:08 PM

Honestly guys, it's all about feel, no one needs a chart or calculator.. Perhaps im in the minority here though.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,496 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2016 12:07 PM

krskfr:

Honestly guys, it's all about feel, no one needs a chart or calculator..

Well, I would've fully agreed if you were talking about RL golf. But WGT is a computer game which means it's all about numbers. I don't think "playing by feel" is an appropriate way to deal with a number game. With this kind of game, I do believe in calculations. As a matter of fact, as you're getting better and more experienced, your calculations are getting faster and sometimes you don't even have to calculate 'cause you just know after seeing it so many times. If you refer that as 'feel', then I guess no one can possibly argue with it.

Anyway, that's just my point of view and whatever it works for you will get the job done, won't it?

• dryspot
    690 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2016 5:57 PM

I calculate my putts but still dont get it right and not much use in keeping note's not the way the greens change from 1 day to the next just sayin.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2016 7:13 PM

I usually stay out of these discussions. 

But there are a lot of nuances in putting.  And, you just can't go by the numbers.  Make sure you look around the hole checking for elevation changes etc.

Yes, do take notes.  Some days I sink everything other days, leaves my head scratching.  But, never give up.  There is an artsy component to putting,  make note of the dots as well, vertical as well as horizontal.

• dryspot
    690 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2016 8:29 PM

Guess im doing it wrong i count the speeds and try 2 calculate but still miss.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Sun, Jun 26 2016 8:33 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

Well, I would've fully agreed if you were talking about RL golf. But WGT is a computer game which means it's all about numbers. I don't think "playing by feel" is an appropriate way to deal with a number game. With this kind of game, I do believe in calculations. Oh, as you're getting better and more experienced, your calculations are getting faster and sometimes you don't even have to calculate 'cause you just know after seeing it so many times. If you refer that as 'feel', then I guess no one can possibly argue with it.

Anyway, that's just my point of view and whatever it works for you will get the job done, won't it?

i dont calculate anything, i let my eyes to the computing (I know eyes are connected directly to the brain), but i mean, i envision the ball going in (while putting) and judge how to set up my line accordingly. It's hard to explain it, but perhaps by now it's all ingrained in my muscle memory to the point that i don't have to think.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 11:07 AM

For those who sometimes choose the 'numbers':

If the number and calculations don't make the ball drop, then one of the upsides of the numbers is refining & figuring out precision & accuracy. It like the rings on a gun's target and the increments on the gun sight retical.

That's how you adjust the gun sights quickly and accurately. It doesn't say, "A little bit, or, a tad more." There are increments. Yet, to add....

If you do it by feel, your head makes 'measurements' in your head anyway. Unless you're guessing and it's a shot in the dark.

Using numbers can provide assistance, that's why gun targets and gun reticles have them.

Use whatever works in the end, natch.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 11:26 AM

The main difference between putting by numbers and putting by feel is this:

You'll still miss the short ones on Saint Andrews number 2.

RSS