Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wind

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 12 2016 2:07 AM (9 replies)
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 10:16 AM

How does everyone deal with wind? Been really struggling with it in RR since turning Legend recently. It's especially hard when it's diagonal, and not in one direction. 

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 11:03 AM
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 11:56 AM

Won't that cost distance though?

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 12:31 PM

It might cost a small amount distance wise, but that is offset by (hopefully) staying on course. In any case, it is much better to miss the ding on the windward side as missing on the leeward side will mean the wind taking your ball for a ride to where you might not want it.

If you watch the replay, you'll see that my 284 yard driver smashes the free ball to over 300 yards, and the flight path of the ball is more or less straight with a 26mph R to L wind.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 2:10 PM

ScottHope:

It might cost a small amount distance wise, but that is offset by (hopefully) staying on course. In any case, it is much better to miss the ding on the windward side as missing on the leeward side will mean the wind taking your ball for a ride to where you might not want it.

If you watch the replay, you'll see that my 284 yard driver smashes the free ball to over 300 yards, and the flight path of the ball is more or less straight with a 26mph R to L wind.

Will that work into the green? That's mainly where I'm struggling

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 2:26 PM

Yes, but don't forget, the more spin you apply, the greater influence the wind will have.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 3:01 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:

Won't that cost distance though?

This is a common understanding but it is not always the case.

Tests I've done have had pre-dings against a crosswind actually go farther at times then a dinged shot. (see bottom right of chart at the 'tests' link) It all depends on the circumstance. (e.g. wind strength & bearing)

Dan has also made a similar comment about pre and post dings having varying results.

fatdan:

My guess is that it may have something to do w/ the magnus force physics effects but that has never been confirmed by WGT, to my knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Sat, Jun 11 2016 3:52 PM

@ scotthope...where can i get your meter overlay? i believe this would be quite helpful for many situations.

tyvm,

turfsand

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Sun, Jun 12 2016 1:09 AM

Sorry turfsand, it's not a meter overlay, it's an edited picture. : (

But it's fairly easy to remember the positions, halfway across the light blue is for 10mph, end of the light blue for 20mph and halfway across the dark blue for 30mph.

⇩ EDIT : Thank you. ; ) ⇩

• turfsand
    1,773 Posts
    Sun, Jun 12 2016 2:07 AM

ScottHope:

Sorry turfsand, it's not a meter overlay, it's an edited picture. : (

But it's fairly easy to remember the positions, halfway across the light blue is for 10mph, end of the light blue for 20mph and halfway across the dark blue for 30mph.

thank you sir, much appreciated

RSS