Forums

Help › Forums

Putting on Championship Greens

Sun, Oct 15 2023 5:26 PM (56 replies)
  • wayneacampbell
    64 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 4:43 PM

I would like to call on the the membership again. I recently had a putt of 83 feet that was 4 ft. uphill on a championship speed green (i know , I know I should have hit it closer) In any event how would you calculate this putt as I absolutely butchered the putt ( 5 putt) My calculation 83+48 divided by 1.5 .

Again input appreciated.

Thank You.

Wayne.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 6:02 PM

83+48+2 = 133 x .7= 91.3

83+48 = 131 / 1.5 = 87.3

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 11:07 PM

The name of the speed is not  important. It's the number that decides what pace a green rolls at. For speed 13 greens I use .69 when working out dead pace. So first the length which is 83. Add 1 foot for every inch (48)= 131, then times by .69= 90.39. 

This method is pretty good at working out dead pace, except when you are going up or down huge amounts. With big rises or falls the numbers get skewed a little. I can't really explain why but I would hit that putt about 70 feet, even that may be a little hard. In such dire situations don't forget you can try chipping with the 64deg, just double the distance so 83 feet is about 28 yards x 2= 56. Add a little for the uphill of course.

i suppose the message is the more you play the more you will find yourself in these situations and have the answer more often. Make a few notes and use knowledge gained to help you lower your scores.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 11:22 PM

fatdan:

83+48+2 = 133 x .7= 91.3

What is the +2 for?

I would do 83+48/1.4 = 94 (93.57)

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 11:32 PM

ApexPC:

What is the +2 for?

Many years ago one of the "math geniuses" here posted his formula, he added 2ft to every putt, and it works...now it is a habit, that and I know most of the answers by heart.....this works for me so this is my way, everyone has their own I assume...

He asked, I answered....

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 11:55 PM

The energy needed for 4 ft up is the same for all green speeds, thus it may be wrong to apply the factor to this part.

Me thinks, 83/1,3 + 48 = 112  might get closer.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Jun 3 2016 2:16 AM

Based on it being a steady incline, I'd say 111.

But if it was up and over a big step in the green it's a whole different ball game.

Those type of putts had me beat for long enough, so I came up with a method that works for me.

I look at these putts in 3 parts, like this -

(not to any scale ^^^ just to give you the idea of what the hell I'm on about.)

Parts A and C are just the normal calculation of lengths and incline.

Part B -

I work out what fraction of the overall distance is the horizontal element of B.

I work out the vertical element of B.

If the step (B) is 18 inches high and it's length is one third of the overall putt length. I take away one third from step height. So I would add 12 inches to my putt.

(the math was arrived at by pure trial and error but the ratios seem to work)

Then resultA+resultB+resultC = final putt distance.

Sounds terribly complicated  but I've been doing it so long  I can do them by sight/memory/feel now.

I'm not a great putter at all but even on real long stepped putts I usually get very close.

I haven't seen this discussed before (I'm sure it has though),but  I'd be interested in hearing other peoples methods and opinions.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Jun 3 2016 2:40 AM

I have never had a putt 4' up, but I would bet money my formula on Champ greens would be 2-3 ft past the hole assuming it didnt go in LOL

112 power would be 30 ft past the hole on champ greens

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Jun 3 2016 2:42 AM

fatdan:
    he added 2ft to every putt, and it works.

Corresponds to rumours in real golf that putts should be hit 44 cm longer for best drowning results...

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Jun 3 2016 2:58 AM

I agree with Paulton's assessment, with one ryder, Part B depnds a lot on how far along the total putt this incline occurs.

One's adjustment would be less if close and more if further away.

The 7th at Olympic, if u roll down the slope then u are normally 50+ feet away with a 2 foot incline, which is quite near the hole.  Therefore I hit the normal power, 72 foot distance, 51 foot power on Champ greens.

RSS