Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Chamber's Bay Hole 12 Trampoline

Tue, Jun 7 2016 5:30 PM (4 replies)
  • keidan
    311 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 11:19 AM

In general this is a fun hole with an opportunity to pick up 1 or 2 strokes with the unusual circle-the-drain effect around the flag.  But with strong headwinds I often found it difficult to reach this green in a position to eagle it, where it starts at about ~260 yds and is elevated significantly. Ok ok, I often find it difficult to eagle it without headwinds too :)

After some time I noticed a consistent "trampoline" effect where the ball bounces off the brush in the shadowy hill slope (as seen in replays) from a poorly hit shot that faded right.  I see this effect on other courses as well.

Now I pretty much rely on this approach in strong headwinds to give me a decent chance at an eagle due to the bowl shape effect that extends quite a way around the flag.

Here are a few examples:

Replay 1, 13-15 mph headwind at 5 o'clock

Replay 2, 11-13 mph headwind at 7 o'clock

Replay 3, 14-16 mph headwind at 5 o'clock

Replay 4, 17-19 mph headwind at 7 o'clock

"Results May Vary" :)  Different equipment may not behave this way... and most of these shots will significantly overshoot the flag with a good percentage coming to rest on the upper ledge in the back of the green, which is a difficult putt to say the least.
    Again this is for strong headwind situations where you are deciding to "go for it" and try for the eagle (or double eagle) with a reasonable amount of risk.  Good luck!
    -Keith
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Mon, May 30 2016 6:52 PM

Awfully nice of you to do this. 

Quality work.

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2016 9:17 AM

Thanks MrFunnyWobbl!  It was my pleasure.  -Keith

• vadernader
    62 Posts
    Mon, Jun 6 2016 11:47 PM

Yup, I have been doing this ever since they released Chambers Bay I accidentally fanned one up there and noticed it kicked hard left into the green even in a "bad" wind. It's just the correct way to play the hole except in the case of a perfect tailwind. 

For what it is worth there are other areas on CB where it's okay to hit it into brush to go for a kick - one that springs to mind immediately for me is the very next hole, the 13th at Chambers. If you get a bad wind off the tee sometimes you're hitting 3 wood into the green and still can't reach! I find that if you land it perfectly in the right hand scruff it can kick forwards a large amount but be warned if you go for it too much or hit it too far to the right it can dig up in it and end up poorly. 

I circled the general area I am speaking about, maybe a bit further back actually but this is the vicinity. 

• keidan
    311 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 5:30 PM

Good stuff vadernader, thanks for the diagram.  You're right it's a good boost there and also less forgiving for slight misses.  -Keith

RSS