Help › Forums

Re: 3.5 Meter Speed Irons

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 4 2016 5:36 AM (21 replies)
  • borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, May 23 2016 11:12 PM

StephanieCA:

Hi y'all, so 2 questions: I am assuming a 3.5 meter speed is faster than a 3.0 meter speed, right? Also, when better golf balls are purchased do you only have a certain amount of hits on them and then you need to purchase more or are they good until you lose them going out-of-bounds?

Steph

Firstly no the higher the number the slower the meter is.  So 3.5 is slower than 3.0.

Secondly yes the balls you have to buy only have to many hits in them and wear out. Look at the durability rating. The higher the better. And they can be lost. You just have decide if it is worth the expense

• StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 6:16 AM

Hi Born,

Thank you for your reply! Oops on the meter thing, guess I had it backwards :( Also, thanks for the ball info! I have decent clubs but just trying to determine if better golf balls are worth it cause they can get costly......

See you on the Tee :)

Steph

• StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 1:33 PM

Hi Vegas,

Thank you for the clarification :)

Steph

• mystry78
    880 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 4:01 PM

Thanks everybody for your responses and suggestions! I might have to get used to the idea of paying the extra 100 cr for the L90 Nike balls.

But in the meantime these L85 Nike's really are a great set of clubs.

Previous occasions when WGT made clubs available at lower levels it has been drivers and putters and I don't see that changing, thus my suggestion for something in between L85 and L100.

Nice of you to chime in Lily, I do recall having the pleasure of playing a A.S.or M.P. game with you a few years ago. Hope you are back out on the links this summer!

And Stephanie you are not the first person or the last to be confused by the meter speed rating:)

Frank

• StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Tue, May 24 2016 4:11 PM

Thanks Frank! Glad to know I'm not the only one who was confused by the meter speed :)

Steph

• PokerBike
    52 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2016 2:42 PM

Posted 10/15/15

I'm with ya!  I also have a complete set of 3.5 meter speed. I went as far as buying those new TaylorMade @ lv 90 with the 3 meter speed. I couldn't hit them!  I tried for 2 weeks. Went back to my Nike's lv 85. I'm not bad at this game, but I'm not great either. I know one thing, at 60 years old, I don't have reflexes to hit a 3 meter speed.  I'd love to see a lv 95 iron set with a 3.5 meter speed.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2016 4:54 PM

Poker,

What balls were you using?

I have one bag packed with Callaways, and use the Nike lv 85s in that one. Use it mostly for Alt Shot and CTTH. The TMs work fine with the lv 90 Nike balls.

BTW, I'm 71, and my reflexes went south years ago.

• PokerBike
    52 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 8:11 AM

I have 3 sets of clubs. About 2 weeks ago I purchased the Nike 97 irons. I paired them up with the Max ball. I am hitting those pretty good. Biggest problem with the Max ball is B/S. Not so good!  Also, I am experimenting with The Nike 97 irons paired with the Nike 92 balls. With the 4.0 meter speed it helps, like you said. But, it still isn't as good as the Nike 85 paired with the Nike 92 ball. Love that 3.5 meter speed with my irons. If we wait long enough maybe the WGT will bless us with some.

Thanks for your input K7JBQ I appreciate it. It's nice to hear at 71 you're still knocking it stiff!!

• mystry78
    880 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 3:37 PM

Update: I just traded in my L97 VR irons and will be purchasing the new L97 Vapor Fly irons shortly. Great job WGT!

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Thu, Jun 2 2016 7:39 PM

PokerBike:

Also, I am experimenting with The Nike 97 irons paired with the Nike 92 balls. With the 4.0 meter speed it helps, like you said.

I think fmagnets was pairing the 97i w/ the Nike 61 ball which he said was more consistent than some of the balls w/ higher numbers. (and cheaper, too)

edit: In fact, as of right this second, fmagnets has the Nike 61 ball equipped along with the Nike Vapors 100.

RSS