Forums

Help › Forums

Re: The story of shaya

Sat, May 7 2016 4:18 AM (78 replies)
  • mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 8:12 PM

MichaelStroke:

We're about 3 seconds away from someone quoting Nietzche.

Fred had his moments, no doubt...but much better to quote Epicurus, or Democritus, or Spinoza, maybe Thomas Paine and Jefferson, with a dash of Einstein and Hitchens for good measure...but the greatest of these is any quote from The Big Lebowski.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 9:33 PM

3 SEC's......

Just under an hour and a half actually... ;-)

And one on point.

" I cannot believe in a God that wants to be praised all the time "

FN

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 11:18 PM

Ya, the constant worship and mandatory love have a totalitarian flavor.

Hitchens says the idea of spending eternity in worship would be like living in a celestial North Korea.  He goes on to say, "At least you can fooking die and leave North Korea."

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 12:11 AM

I was forcing myself away from this thread.  A fascination of mine as far back as I can remember.

At current levels of understanding I do think it's dangerous to dismiss possibilities of something else.  

If I get pulled up for my transgressions come "my day" I will be conducting my own defense. Not only that but I will be also be going on the attack.  If someone was capable of stopping the world extremes I disagree in their thinking.  Highly unlikely scenario any of that part, IMO.

Worshipping and fear I also don't happen to go along with too much along the way.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 3:42 AM

mkg335:

MichaelStroke:

We're about 3 seconds away from someone quoting Nietzche.

Fred had his moments, no doubt...but much better to quote Epicurus, or Democritus, or Spinoza, maybe Thomas Paine and Jefferson, with a dash of Einstein and Hitchens for good measure...but the greatest of these is any quote from The Big Lebowski.

Einstein and Hitchens in the same sentence? One developed important theories in Physics. The other was a self described atheist and marxist, who relentlessly criticised western values and beliefs, but who wouldn't emigrate and give up the luxuries he was afforded by them...verbose way of saying hypocrite.

ps: I fully agree with you on Lebowski..:)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 6:41 AM

Colin, Lebowski truly is the font of all wisdom.

As far as Hitchens, I think you misjudge him.  He was first and foremost a journalist, author, and in his later years, a formidable foe in debates with believers of all ilks.  In his youth he did embrace Marxism and the left, but moved toward the political center as he grew older while remaining a champion of what he found worth defending in Marx, who himself is often mischaracterized and misquoted, usually by reactionaries.

Note that I'm not accusing you of being a reactionary.  From what I can gather from your posts in the forum, you hold views that are truly conservative, as opposed to what passes for conservatism nowadays but is more accurately termed reactionary right.

I believe the best governing occurs when conservatives and liberals state their cases fervently and honestly and then work together to achieve compromise...something sorely lacking in today's political climate.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 8:07 AM

mkg335:

Colin, Lebowski truly is the font of all wisdom.

As far as Hitchens, I think you misjudge him.  He was first and foremost a journalist, author, and in his later years, a formidable foe in debates with believers of all ilks.  In his youth he did embrace Marxism and the left, but moved toward the political center as he grew older while remaining a champion of what he found worth defending in Marx, who himself is often mischaracterized and misquoted, usually by reactionaries.

Note that I'm not accusing you of being a reactionary.  From what I can gather from your posts in the forum, you hold views that are truly conservative, as opposed to what passes for conservatism nowadays but is more accurately termed reactionary right.

I believe the best governing occurs when conservatives and liberals state their cases fervently and honestly and then work together to achieve compromise...something sorely lacking in today's political climate.

I am a conservative thinker. I'm also pleased to have a discourse with someone, without being called names or cursed at...lol. Petty stuff like that doesn't bother me, but it's a nice change to read a well crafted opinion; based on a reasoned p.o.v.

cheers,

ct

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 8:24 AM

I used to hear this frequently from students:  "Well it's my opinion, man!"

My response was always along the lines of:  "If you can't state it reasonably and provide evidence to back it up, it's not worth much, is it?"

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 9:38 AM

mkg335:

I used to hear this frequently from students:  "Well it's my opinion, man!"

My response was always along the lines of:  "If you can't state it reasonably and provide evidence to back it up, it's not worth much, is it?"

I've been ambushed many times by people who obviously missed ^^^ part of the lecture...I try to pass along the same guidance, but the expression re: arguing with drunks or fools, seems to keep proving itself...lol.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 9:40 AM

Okay, one more opinion.  

It is evident that human kind will seek answers to the unknown that can be belived, at the level of understanding he posesses.

There are those of humankind who posess a elevated level of understanding, and will not be satisfied with those answers that do not  fullfill his requirements and erase his quest for an answer.  Those will continue to search.

This certainly over simplfies what we see in an everyday life experience, but to my mind, (all 4 cells), it leaves no room for arguement.  my nickle.

RSS