Forums

Help › Forums

Re: yardage

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 7 2009 11:09 PM (1 replies)
  • STONEBALL
    3 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 11:00 PM

Has anybody notice the yardage on hole 12 & 16 is off?  Hole 12 starts at 410 yds (gold tournament tees). Hit drive 230 yds, leaving me with 180 yds to the hole,but its says I'm 220 yds away. Anything wrong? Hole 16 starts at 555 yds,hit drive 229 yds, leaving 326 to hole,but says 345 away. Second shot went 210 yds,leaving 116 yds to hole,but it says 138 away.Something is wrong with the yardage. Please fix the problem so that it is true yardage not false. Its time for a NEW course to play, anybody agree? Thanks           P.S.  I'm referring to the Kiawah Course.                                                                                                                                        

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Aug 7 2009 11:09 PM

Stoneball... I believe there is an error with logic and not your math.  In your examples A - B = C, you are spot on if everythng is in a perfectly straight line.

Since there are very few holes that are perfectly straight, and since there are very few golfers who can hit the perfectly straight drive down the perfectly straight fairway, there will be even fewer holes who's yardage adds like you think yours should.

When hit your tee shot, you are given the yardage your ball flies, in ANY DIRECTION.  Where the ball comes to rest determines the yardage of the next shot.. from your ball's position to the flag IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

To test this get on the fairway with your second shot.  If you have 100 yards to the pin, turn around and hit your 100 yard wedge BACK to the tee box.  By your logic, you should be on the green, but in actuality, you're 200 yards from the stick.

Hope this helps.  Have a nice day.

RSS