Help › Forums

Re: Getting out of bunkers

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 3 2016 7:42 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tguerr16
    33 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2016 4:48 PM

hello all, I'm really new player and have been watching videos and reading posts trying to get better.  One huge obstacle so far has been bunker play.  I was directed to a site called "pinhunters' and read a rather thorough post from "Potluck".  He has a calculation that factors in lie, elevation, etc but unless I missed something he really does not explain how to get all of the numbers for his calculations.

My question is if there is someone who has some inside on how to get out of green side bunkers that one can understand?  This is a very addictive game and I see how (just as in real golf) one must really know what each club can do.  Like I said, I'm getting there but still need some assistance.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2016 7:08 PM

if within 30 yrds of pin in 30 40 add 10 40/50 add 12 full back spin roughly full shot always

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2016 8:51 PM

Forget about chipping and flopping. 

• patrickmar
    245 Posts
    Fri, Feb 5 2016 8:55 PM

this is where you need to know how much power to make the ball go a certain yardage. coming out of trap with  down hill is almost impossible but all others are makeable. 

common trap is .30 .40 % i personally take the total yards times .3     example: 15yds is distance so 15 x .3= 4.5 now add 4.5 to 15 and your shot distance is 19.5 which i use full swing and full backspin, wind on short shot has no factor unless 10 in face maybe add 1

a lot depends on the balls you use due to spin. this will get you in the ball park you just need to fine tune it to fit your needs.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2016 12:39 AM

AFAIS, the first culprit is the Starter wedges. Their characteristics are quite poor, especially when reducing power.

Thus, a better 64° wedge is necessary to perform all of the good tips above. With Starters, it's hit and run (to the other side of the green) frequently.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2016 12:53 AM
    You may have to read this more than once, but I found it quite useful.
    1. Puttlucks Bunker Tips
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 2:11 PM

What about when you have no green to work with before the pin? 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 2:24 PM

What do you think?

- Know your distances very very, very well, "Tigerlike" - saw him place the bunker lob right on top of the ridge once, trickling to a downslope pin,

or,

- accept to overshoot and putt your way back!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 3:09 PM

tguerr16:
    how to get out of green side bunkers

Pitch and know it's going to roll like a  putt when it gets on the green. Gauge the distance to the edge of the green from your spot in the trap so you can get there and play it like a putt from where it lands on the green.

The CTTH at CCC has 2 bunker shots that are quick to get to and really useful for practice. You can also set your own practice round up and get to a bunker where you can use mulligans to figure out what to do. 

Alosso's 64W suggestion is a must.  :-)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2016 3:19 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:

What about when you have no green to work with before the pin? 

This is tough as unlike real golf it is hard to stop a ball quickly from a trap on WGT.

So this is where course management comes to the fore - play smart.

If in a stroke play round, I recommend get the ball out and do not get too cute - you have a much better chance sinking a longer putt than another shot from the bunker or rough.

It often depends on the hole (lie and elevation) and whether the landing area is downhill or uphill. The downhill landing is obviously the tough one and will continue to roll.

However if it is in match play, you may be in a position that you need to try for the one in a hundred shot.....and trying to catch the fringe or side of the bunker as alosso said is difficult and you will need to know your yardage extremely well...and have a lot of luck.

One thing Mr Fish said ^^^^ about shipping (agreed) and flopping. The flop can work very well on a couple of courses -Bethpage is one - so it comes down to trying our different shots on different courses. But flopping on other courses will lead to disaster, so learn what works on different courses and holes. Trial and error.

• PAGES
RSS