Forums

Help › Forums

Re: chip shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:17 AM (4 replies)
  • fmontrose
    1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 12:27 PM

the physics employed on chip shots is all wrong. its really frustrating that when aiming to land your shot 4 yards and let it roll the last 4 that wgt will land you ball 2 yards and stop it dead, even if its fringe. most chip shots require you to land it short and roll it up to the pin, but here it can't be done.

makes me not want to play because if you don't hit the green then you have little chance of getting up and down.

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 12:55 PM

I find that the chip and pitch shots work really well. It took a bit of getting accustomed to these types of shots. I find that the chip shot "rolls up" really well. Remember to take into consideration your lie and the slope of the green. If you are trying to chip it through rough, u may want to entertain the idea of knocking the crap out of it. Hope this helps. You can also click on the News tab and there is a guide for chipping and pitching. Very Helpful

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2009 12:58 PM

This is a guide made by a Master Player named

ICONIAN

I know a lot of you complain, so I will post a general guide. The reason it's general because some clubs have varied distances, which aren't the same for all clubs: but, by following these guidelines, you should be able to improve your game.

1. chip - generally I use it with 3 wedges but sometimes as high as 8 or 9 iron (primarly on 11 or 12 on bp if i am way short and shots are uphill)

now: all clubs work in similar fashion and usually if it says 17 yards, it will go 17 yards on a perfectly even surfance. Here are the things you need to remember when you use it (thus, add/subscract the power you hit it with)

1. what kind of rough you are in and how far you are in. if you are more than 2 yards off green, don't bother using chip, see pitch

2. is the green downhill? is the green uphill? does it have lots of movement right off the slope?

3. always practice using 1 type of chip - i always use bs (very rarely i use ts/ns) so all my distances practiced using full bs.

now, let's say you have a 13 yard chip from 40/50 rough, but it sits right at the edge of it. you are about 1ft above green and it has a slope downwards... which means normal 17 yarder might go 20 yards at that speed.

generally speaking: 40/50 rough requires 40% more power so 13 yarder needs to be hit with 19 speed to go 13 on a perfectly straight surface.

since its so close to the green and has downslope, you should be confident that it will clear the rough, and because its downslope, (knowing the 17 yarder will go 20 on such downhill), you should only hit with 15 speed, using full bs. chances are it'll land within 3 ft 8/10 times.

4. the other part is when you chip from fairway into uphill or downhill green. simply practice there will do. best example is chipping into 11 bp being about 19 or so short and slope being 2ft up and moving hard from left to right. there i just add 3 yards of speed and chip it (2 yards for uphill and 1 yard to movement). aim good distance left and hit it trusting that it will reach the hole. usually its there:)

pitch:

Pitch option is probably more useful on BP than chip. Most of the times you are in 30/40 or 40/50 rough, so being able to pitch is essential.

following these rules: from any 40/50 rough u are -2 yards of given pitch length. From any 30/40 rough you are +1 of any length and 10/20 sand +2 of length. from normal fairway pitch is generally +4-5 its advertised distance. But I remember once hitting 32 pitch into 42 yarder and running by. But my wind was 24mph tail, so just be careful, it packs a punch:)

Apply same rules on where the shot goes. upgill/downhill and any movement

One of the more useful shots comes on bp #2 where i am in rough on sand 20-25 yards short of the green. i just follow those rules and a90% of the time i am inside 5ft

-----

there are some greens (like 5 and 6) which have a lot of slope right between rough/sand and the flag.  being 2 yards off the mark can lead either being stuck in rough or being 10-12ft by. only thing i can tell you is, next time you are there and hit a short, remember the result and write it down so when u get it again, you can adjust!@

my last words are these: chipping and pitching are probably most consistent parts of this game. utilizing them properly will easily shave off 2 shots off your average on BP.

----

punch

Few words on punch option: I'd call it an advanced option because I never use it on BP on approach from fairway but to wack-out of rough (seems like every hole though lol)

It is quite useful on Kiwaha though, especially in lower winds. I mostly used it on holes 13,15,16 as those really condusive to it.  The reason I use punch there is because its 2 fold: 1, those holes usually play short by 3-4 yards and any kind of wind, along with deviations can cause havok (i had perfect 128 yarder with 5 tail wind go 115 on #16 kiwaya). By hitting punch, I can almost for sure guarantee that it will get there. But punch requires a lot more practice and gentle touch, so I am not going into much details on how to use it, for it's more of a feeling shot

Problem with punch, not many tips I can give you besides that It goes its true distance much better than normal club option and cuts through the wind the same way (for example 188 punch on #1 bp into 9head wind will go 185 or so, while 185 club barely break 177). So, if you want some advanced skills with clubs, practice them and see how useful they are.

So, start using it by hitting outta rough and getting outta trouble, and then you can try hitting it for 3rd shot on #7 to see how it behaves :)

• Heimir
    3 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:48 AM
    totally agree a big flaw
  • birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 10:17 AM

fmontrose:
    the physics employed on chip shots is all wrong. its really frustrating that when aiming to land your shot 4 yards and let it roll the last 4 that wgt will land you ball 2 yards and stop it dead, even if its fringe. most chip shots require you to land it short and roll it up to the pin, but here it can't be done.

These are US Open / Ryder Cup courses. They are set up to mimic the conditions that the real pro's would face. The rough (especially  @ BPB) is simply difficult to contend with. It takes practice.

RSS