Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Some questions for the old-timers.

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 21 2009 4:24 PM (4 replies)
  • Baustintex
    4 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 8:52 PM

I see that the first post in the welcome thread is from 9/08, so some of you have been around for a while, and I have a couple questions for anyone willing to help out a noob.

I guess it can be boiled down into one question. How long does it take to be consistently good?

I've been signed up for less than two weeks, but have been playing video golf games going back to the Commodore 64, so the mechanics aren't new to me. In those 11 days, I've moved from Hack to Pro, won some awards, and cut my average just about in half.

What I haven't done, is appreciably lower my average score for CTTP competitions, which is probably about 400. Although my potential score on most courses is in the 30's, I can't seem to string together 9 good shots in a row. I understand  that it takes practice, but the question is, how much?

A few bad shots on 9 or 18 holes just don't have the drastic effect that one bad shot on CTTP has, and my putting and short irons can generally make up for my second shot blunders.

Also, how much easier is this to play with a mouse, as opposed to the touchpad on a laptop?

TIA, and just want to say, this is my new favorite time waster.

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 9:51 AM

Dont think for a second that the more "experienced" players dont pull it off into the pond somewhat frequently. I don't even know what my average is on closest to the hole but I do know that it is not accurate. I dont see the reason in finishing a round when I have no chance of posting a better score than I have already posted. Sometimes I do just to try different approaches on certain holes but, I have played so much that I dont do that too often. I pretty much know where I need to hit it... It is just a matter of hitting nine perfect shots in a row with no glitches which by the way is pretty much impossible. Some shots I am a good ways off on my meter and by some miracle my ball ends up within 5 ft.

So..... Keep on digging.  Try different things. Some shots can be surprisingly consistent. Experiment with your backspin and topspin. That is a must to fine tune to wind conditions and slopes.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Mon, Jul 20 2009 10:30 AM

I've been here since October 08. I don't know how it worked for other people, but for me the first couple of months are where you really go up and get better. After that, you come to a halt and your improvement comes very slowly.

• GLADSTONESCREWER
    749 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2009 2:20 AM

i use the touchpad on my laptop to play this game,  found it a tad fiddley ,but i can get by,i bought a usb mouse cos i thought it would improve my game,but it did not ,maybe the mouse i got just aint cut out for gaming ,i dunno,but it did not respond as quick as my touchpad,anyways ive gone back to the touchpad now,if anyone knows a good mouse for the laptop for this game i would like to know.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2009 4:24 PM

I use the touch pad for aiming and to"power up" then use the left click button to hit the line. I'm never consistant, so I tried my wireless mouse with the same inconsistance. If I could "hit the mark" everytime, I feel I could be in the top spot(s) everytime. And yeah, I've tried playing on the desktop also, with a wired mouse.  Still can't seem to hit that brutally little white line. Something about this game just keeps bringing me back. 

RSS