Forums

Help › Forums

Re: off ding putting method

Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:48 PM (67 replies)
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, May 1 2016 11:15 PM

Just as on WGT, the off-ding (when there is a big green tilt) method has been getting results for decades. I've noticed that the physics are similar between JNSE and WGT, maybe that's just how golf games are produced.

The ding method may be fine on a heavy slope, and you want the ball to roll into the middle of the cup but if you're slightly wrong on your aim and/or you get a meter 'issue', your ball may roll away on the low side. 

The off-ding keeps the ball on the high side throughout the path (unless you aimed terrible or did it in an incorrect manner!) and compared to the ding method the chances of staying on the high side are increased.

The momentum of the off ding putt is different, too, naturally, as it stalls out because it wasn't hit directly. You want to apply that feature. That's the whole idea.

But feel free to use whatever method gets the results you want.

Notice the 1st dinged putt was hit at 6' power and rolled 9'.

edit: to ditto what SP says below in her post, also.  ↓

https://youtu.be/P6tqfoTH-bo?t=41s

Last off-ding putt on a slope by  jayw4862 one of the VUSO sweeps winners of the past. Currently w/ 106 HIOs and a 65% one putt.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 7:29 AM

I have always been an off-dinger and am amazed at how much exaggeration of it is a must at Pebble Beach. Some putts even require moving the aimer in tandem  with this on purpose miss-hit.

~ SP ~ 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 2:30 PM

Don't any one take it the wrong way, but I do wonder how many VUSO players will use the extreme off ding method (e.g. very seldom moving the aim marker).  

Not putting any views down, just be mildly interested. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 2 2016 3:55 PM

Jimbog1964:

Don't any one take it the wrong way, but I do wonder how many VUSO players will use the extreme off ding method (e.g. very seldom moving the aim marker).  

Not putting any views down, just be mildly interested. 

Probably not any. That is why they will qualify.

Hi Jim

~ Lily ~

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2016 7:03 PM

kilbraur:

I ar not a great player but I  do has average 57 and I is always putts off ding, it only way I is know how to putt

You are a level 103 CHAMPION, i would love to be such a "normal' player!  LOL!

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Jul 11 2016 7:35 PM

Off ding and move the aim marker here, especially on longer putts with substantial break. The only time I keep the marker on the hole and ding is for the rare dead straight putt.

There are some occasions, like on a severe downhill breaker, where I'll pick a specific spot short of the hole where I think the break has the most influence and will try to ding the putt to that spot.

Didn't work out so well in round 3 of the VUSO, but then again it was one of those rounds where nothing was working...but by and large the method, if you can call it that, has served me well.

• System3
    47 Posts
    Thu, Jul 28 2016 9:13 AM

I am not one of the greats BUT I do off ding. About a year ago I switched.

Here is how to do it.

Start on under 5' only. Within a few days almost all mine were falling.

So I went to under 10"  again a big improvement.

After a while I did all putts off ding ( except huge breaks).

For me this method is faster, easier & more natural. Also misses are usually

tap ins.  . It was a huge improvement for me anyhows. I will never go back.

good luck

• sodakknight
    700 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 7:48 PM

Always off-ding putts since I started......can't do it any other way now.

Also the way I play real golf...turn my putter blade but not necessarily my stance...guess I'm wierd that way.

RSS