alosso:
    Yep :(

*shakes head*

I have no idea why they would do that LOL

• Golfy48
    22 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2015 12:37 AM

Buy a fair putter (300-1200) 

Then all you really need to worry about is a good  and long driver.

The only thing you need to care about after that is getting a better driver.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2015 6:34 AM

JaymsTee:

Hi MrFW,

I am aware that two opinions can be worse than none sometimes, but nonetheless, I'd like to give you mine. I've been playing for two months now and spending quite some of that time scanning the shop for better equipment. I agree 100% to alosso in terms of price-performance ratio, but if your focus is more on the performance part than on the price, here are some alternative ideas.

As to what is available at your current level (33), I am still using (and being pretty comfortable with) the Cleveland 588 wedges. A few days after starting to play, a friend gave me the 56°, and I purchased the 64° as soon as I could. Their only disadvantage in comparison to the ATVs you favor is the price (x2). They cover distances of 60 resp. 90 yards (+10/-3 compared to the ATVs) and come with better forgiveness, slower meter speed (+ 0.5 each) and, last but not least, a high trajectory (instead of ATV's med/high), all of them critical for more accurate approach shots. Once you are used to them (at full backspin, I see them lose about 6 yards in distance), you won't regret the extra money spent.

I am also playing with a L22 putter (Odyssey versa #7, 1,495 credits). Its stats are identical to the cheaper TM Ghost, so if you're that close to L35, it is the right decision to wait  for that bargain (I didn't have the patience ;)). And you will be happy with it until L70 at least.

I happily played the TM driver (L48) for a long time and got the Ping G25s after some advice from friends, so my thumbs up for those. I also agree with alosso on the R11 irons (despite the price) as an interim solution. I would not care much about the hybrid and replace it once you have the Ping irons by a third wedge (e.g. Cleveland 588 60°, 75 yards); at least it iswhat I did.

As to balls, I'd say anything is better than the starter balls, although alosso is perfectly right about the "constant income for the company" part. You will have to trade advantages particularly in spin and meter speed against the costs. Never go for less durability than 2.5 (which most of them have, but still there are some with 2.0). I am using the damn expensive Nike RZN WHite Balls (L40, 600 credits per set) and will switch to the 20XI-S at L70 (450 credits) as soon as I can.

Have lots of fun shopping and playing! :-)

Thanks for the added opinion and thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I looked at the Proshop tables put together by that one forum member and I have been comparing the ATV wedges and Clevelands you have suggested. While the Clevelands look obviously somewhat better, I am hesitant to go with them due to the price. They are nearly twice the price of the ATVs. Do you think the added forgiveness, slower meter speed and trajectory will be worth it? 

I only have enough left for about 8000 credits and I'm concerned the more expensive wedges won't leave me with enough to get everything else. 

• JaymsTee
    64 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2015 6:43 AM

alosso:

As my friend Jay stated, it's common to most players to replace the hybrid by a third wedge when the gap to the PW grows due to a new iron set, perparing for more precision in the short game by giving up some less important opportunities on the fairways.

Different to him, I'd propose a longer wedge then, 100+ yds, while the PW will be around 115. This also puts his plan for a 60 / 90 yds combo into a different light. Sorry to dissent, but it's the wrong way IMHO. To me, 50 / 75(77) or 60 / 80 are the better combos to start with.

I guess it is a matter of priorities. I consider Alosso's recommendation perfectly fine if you want to avoid replacing clubs you once paid good money for. I, however, intend to switch from the 60 - (75 -) 90 wedges to the 60/80/100 versions later on (that is L76+). Yet there are the advantages of the L27+ Cleveland wedges I mentioned earlier (distance, better stats), and I still enjoy them. Also you would not have to wait until L39...

I guess the most important thing is to feel comfortable with your equipment. Once you reach L39, just rent the ATVs for free. If they work for you: problem solved.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2015 12:30 PM

JaymsTee:

alosso:

As my friend Jay stated, it's common to most players to replace the hybrid by a third wedge when the gap to the PW grows due to a new iron set, perparing for more precision in the short game by giving up some less important opportunities on the fairways.

Different to him, I'd propose a longer wedge then, 100+ yds, while the PW will be around 115. This also puts his plan for a 60 / 90 yds combo into a different light. Sorry to dissent, but it's the wrong way IMHO. To me, 50 / 75(77) or 60 / 80 are the better combos to start with.

I guess it is a matter of priorities. I consider Alosso's recommendation perfectly fine if you want to avoid replacing clubs you once paid good money for. I, however, intend to switch from the 60 - (75 -) 90 wedges to the 60/80/100 versions later on (that is L76+). Yet there are the advantages of the L27+ Cleveland wedges I mentioned earlier (distance, better stats), and I still enjoy them. Also you would not have to wait until L39...

I guess the most important thing is to feel comfortable with your equipment. Once you reach L39, just rent the ATVs for free. If they work for you: problem solved.

I can rent them for free? The only time I've been able to rent anything for free was when I hit level 34 yesterday and it offered me 3 different things that I could choose one of to try for free for 2 hours. 

Every other time I've gone in the shop its always tried to charge me to rent. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2015 1:51 PM

I agree, Jay.

@MrFunny: The free rental offer comes for equipment being released at the new tier, so L39 is perfect for the ATVs.

If you need them longer than two hours, just start a ranked round in time - you may interrupt it as long as you want to test the clubs later. Rental will only be over when the round comes to an end.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2015 4:20 PM

I guess I will do that and rent them at 39. I just hit 35 and it let me rent the Spider Putter. It was hard to adjust to the 15-25-50 but I started to get the hang of it toward the end. I'll probably buy it and the level 31 3WD tomorrow. 

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Mon, Sep 7 2015 12:50 PM

I bought the Spider Putter, TaylorMade 3WD and Cleveland 60 and 64 wedges. Loving it all so far, just shot my first sub 70 round with a 63 out of nowhere on Congressional. Thanks for all the help. 

• PAGES
RSS