Forums

Help › Forums

Re: any tips on cleveland wedges

Sat, Aug 29 2015 4:27 AM (6 replies)
  • Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2015 12:00 PM

need help had my pings dialed in good but the Cleveland are never that close always about 10 foot, using callaway balls.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2015 1:51 PM

10 feet what? Long? Short? Forget what you know about your Pings and learn these without spin. Some things off the top of my head-used the 33 Callaway for very long time.

• The 64 doesn't need any help to back up. Top spin stops it. Full back spin stops and hops.
    • The 64 punch is ridiculously accurate 50 yds and under. Full back spin stops it dead. Chokes very accurately.
    • The 64 pitch goes 17 with fbs and chokes quite well, all the way down to 6-7 yds. Release the spin for more yardage, it rolls flat to 21 yards.
    • Punch the 60 without spin. It stops where it says at 68 yards.
    • Punch the 56  (84) the same way you do the 60. No spin needed to control the yardages, trust that they stop.

I can't stress how important it is to learn these wedges and all the shots that go with them without spin. I did before I learned how to use it effectively, like above.

They really react to partial spin and you can get some really wild results if you're not careful. See for yourself, it won't take long. GL

p.s., A really big help is that little piece of blue ruler at the left end of the meter. You can use those measuring marks with great success because they're just about a yard each. Try it when you choke a full shot. You'll figure out their values.  ;-)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Aug 20 2015 3:32 PM

The flop shot works well with these clubs, but remember the spin u use will reduce the yardage, so E.G. the 64º flop is 20 yards, but fbs is only 18 yards.

What I like best is how far down the percentage of power u can go, way below 50% even

So 60% of a full shot with the 64º is 30 yards, and as Jim says  - ridiculously accurate

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2015 8:11 PM

Yankee Jim and Oneeyedjohn are correct.  Those wedges are insanely accurate, once you learn the ins and outs of them.

phred952

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2015 2:36 AM

i just cant seem to get to grips with them, im never that close, i always seem to have a putt from around 10 foot after using them, i put no spin on and they back up 6 or 7 foot, i watched fmagnets video and he puts them to inches every time, ive tried mapping them out to the percentage but it dont seem to work

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2015 5:00 AM

Joshnosh:
    i put no spin on and they back up 6 or 7 foot

This goes with the learning bit-use top spin to stop from backing up. When I said learn them with no spin I meant for you to see things exactly like this. Once you learn how it acts without spin influence, take the next bold step and introduce spin. Start with small amounts, like 1/4 top spin to stop that 64W. 

You've had those clubs less than a month, give yourself a chance. You'll figure them out and it will be well worth the effort.  :-)

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2015 4:27 AM

Thanks again Jim

im doing much better i put the spin on the red number on my callaway and minus 2% and it stops dead next to the hole :)

RSS