Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Spin with Woods?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:53 PM (7 replies)
  • MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 7:10 PM

Can anyone tell me what the effect is of placing either forward or backward spin on the ball when hitting driver or woods?  Forward spin into the wind?  Backwatd with the wind? Or what?

• bionicbrats
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jul 14 2009 5:56 AM

I originally thought that spin only affected the balls rolling on the ground after it landed.  I would put a forward spin to help it roll further, a back spin to hopefully get it to bite, especially on the greens.  but then I read on another thread, that putting a backspin on the ball from the tee or fairway, when the wind is directly at your back, puts it higher into the air and gives the wind more of a chance to carry the ball further, and a forward spin when hitting into the wind to keep the ball down and get through the wind better.  I tried it and it works!

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Tue, Jul 14 2009 11:07 AM

Thanks.  That is exactly what I thought but there is no way of confirming it.

I wish you could practice so that you could rehit shots to see the difference.  How many times have you hit the center line and not produced the shot you want?  Wrong club?  Wrong shot choice? Bad aim?  Wouldn't it be helpful to rehit the shot from the same place?  Same club, different spin? A REAL practice round.

• bionicbrats
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jul 14 2009 12:30 PM

Play as often as you can, try to remember the conditions as you play and how you played them, and play as often as you can. 

Like the rest of us, that seems to be the best we can do.

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 3:25 PM

it does the following things (remember that each club has certain carry # and run #, for example: for 220 3w it might be 200 carry and 20 run)

spin does the following: top spin decrases carry increases run, bs the oposite.

in certain winds or holes where pin is close to the edge, bs is useful cause it carries more.runs less = stops faster

same for if you have head wind and want few more yards outta 3w, u'd use top spin , fly it lower and run it longer

all of this requires practice and # crunching:) = ie fun parts of the game:)

• MalamaMakena
    42 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 3:52 PM

Thanks, Iconian.  I've seen many of your posts.  You are obviously very good at this.  Thanks so much for sharing what you've learned.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 4:16 PM

Iconian... I'm guessing you're pretty good at this game in real life.  True?

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:53 PM

onlt thing i have done in real life is play some miniature golf on some dates when i was 14-16 :)

haven't done anything else golf wise :)

RSS