Help › Forums

Re: help on how to correctly figure iron shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 4 2015 7:53 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Caddy04
    15 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2015 3:04 PM

I am not figuring right on distances and wind for my iron shots. I started using elevation things and converting to yds and add and sub on that and not working also wind is betond . Please help if you have a tip to share.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2015 8:16 PM

Not ur first thread on this subject.

Did u take on board any advice given u last time.

Don't think so.

JBog posted on ur wall.

The one thing that stands out in ur profile is that u don't play any CC tournies. All ur scores in recent score histry are just single play ranked rounds.

Playing Alternate Shot games with fellow members in ur CC will teach u loads. I reckon most of us learn that way.

Level 91 Tour Pro - good grief.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Jul 21 2015 8:30 PM

oneeyedjohn:
    Level 91 Tour Pro - good grief.

LOL  not sure what anyone can say if you haven't learned by now in 91 levels.  

Time to take notes me thinks.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2015 12:58 AM

have you tried Kats calculator or sgt bilkos?

Kats is amazing 

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2015 6:48 AM

Beside using the traditional methods of distance calculation, I have found that playing a practice round and hitting the same shot over and over using the mulligan feature, and experimenting with varying degrees of backspin and different distances until you find a combination that you are comfortable with, was very helpful to me.  You can use up a few balls in the process but I found it worth the investment in the long run.   

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:19 AM

I used sgt bilkos until I upgraded my laptop.  It's not compatible with windows 8.1, or at least not for me.  However I did pull data off the program from my old laptop and figured out formula's that work pretty well most of the time.  

Kats is very good, but is based on using the R11 irons.  So you have to plug in the distances to set it up if you use different clubs.

There are lots of forum posts where distances have been provided using different iron and ball combinations.  One of the best is for Nike lvl 85 VR's and the lvl 81 nike ball.  You just have to search.

phred952

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2015 7:53 AM

hpurey:
    Time to take notes me thinks.

L92 and I've yet to take a note, other than mental.. I'm thinking he's got bigger problems. 

No offense, dude..

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 7:39 AM

Caddy04  you come mine profile page I has wind charts and yard charts I ar also has tip sheets and the course notes if you is wants them

• Caddy04
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 3:33 PM

Hi Kilbraur,

Thank you so much for you kind offer. I am a 73 year old retired man ion Arizona and really want to start working very hard to improve my game. I have been stuck at the level I am as I haven't been able to put enough wins together to move forward. Please email the following I think as what I need to my personal email address below:

boomboomhotstuff@yahoo.com

"i would like your notes on irons and putting and winds" plus items below.

Par 3s Easy Birdies,

Flop to stop pitch to drop,

Up And Down In Two,

Understanding the wind.

your are very kind to share, TY

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 9:46 PM

@ Caddy

For your flops and pitches to stop and drop ^^, you'll need a bit more spin imo. So.........

I'd suggest switching balls to the Nike 80 (4.5 spin, 4.0 distance) or Nike Platinum 90 (5.0 spin, 5.0 distance).  You're irons only have 2.0 spin so imo you really need a combined ball/iron spin rating of 6.5+.  80's cost the same as your current ball and the Platinums a tad bit more. 

You need to map your pitches/flops.  I like to use St Andrews #9, a short par 4 with a very flat mid - back green.  You'll need to use mulligans (and it cost a bit!) and I like to use increments of 4% for each type of shot.  Start around 46%, 50%, 54%, 58%, etc.  Remember each grid box on the green is 2feet, so you can get a very precise land/roll distance charted.  I prefer 100 b/s on all those shots.  Only time I change it is if i need to tweak a shot for an exact yardage that I need (and am not getting).

Wind and aiming.  Once you go to Kilbrau's page and get the right wind charts a precise way to actually aim is the pitching grid.  For me, moving the grid's one full box works out to 1Y of L or R aim.   Pitch > zoom > R click and zoom in 2x > move grids.  Sometimes you'll need to use reverse hole zoom, and then right click and zoom in to see the grids well enough.  Using this method you can expect to be within 0-6 foot left or right of the pin on virtually every shot.  The down-side is it takes a bit more time to do. 

Thanks and nod's goes out to JoshNosh who recently introduced me to using the pitch grid.  Very very good aim!  Ty my friend.

• PAGES
RSS