Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Glenmorangie Challenge Qualifier

Tue, Aug 4 2015 11:07 AM (20 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 8:52 AM

rata78:

I am very angry about what I saw in the second round of glenmorangie.

good my first nine (-8), then things happen absurd to back nine (-2).

I had not even entered the game yesterday.

my shots magically grow shorter, I can not get close to less than 7 yards from the hole.

I will stop here, do not want to be vulgar.

(google traslator)

gl all

Green speed for the second round was Very Fast 10. First round was Championship speed.

But, u are right on the second 9s...i have encountered many problems too...not to mention the dot speed. For every putt was taking 3 minutes to guess which was the real-right speed.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 8:56 AM

PhiEaglesFan:

Keep in mind it's not always "tailwind = help" and "headwind = hurt".  There are many times where a headwind or even a crosswind is ideal.  For example, I'll take a headwind on STA #2 and a right-to-left crosswind on STA #5  every time.

+1.

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 3:24 PM

from the tees we played the final round, you wanted a tailwind on 2. Green was driveable. I actually hit it OVER the green off the tee, setting up an easy pitch (I had downwind 3 as well, which I have driven in the past, but pulled the drive and landed smack into an upslope)

• Agassi1991
    777 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 3:53 PM

Hi derekortt

I can tell you, I had a 30-32mph crosswind on hole 2.

And for the rest 17 holes I had 11 headwinds from 26-32mph,  5 croswinds from

26-32mph and a single tailwind with a tiny slide, yes take a wild guess, on hole 11 

27-29mph.

It was a tough round, and happy with my 58 :-)

Agassi1991 (Peter)

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 5:28 PM

that's a rough wind for sure!

I got lucky in that I had a big cross on 1,

down on 2-4,

cross on 5.

Head 6-7 (couldn't take advantage of the red tee on 6).

Downwind on 8 (managed to stop the ball quickly though).

Down on 9 (made 50 footer).

Cross on 10-13 (cross made 12 easier since the tee was up, but I missed my eagle putt).

Very lucky that I had down on 14, which let me hit a 5 iron for my second setting up an eagle.

Cross on 15.

down on 16.

Into on 17 (hit a 5 iron there, when I could hit 9 iron downwind from the tips!),

cross on 18

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 4:56 AM

I played rather poorly on the back 9 but it wasn't due to the wind. I just couldn't hit the ding or make a putt. -5 31 front even par 35 back with 2 birdies and 2 bogies. 

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Jul 30 2015 8:49 PM

derekortt:

from the tees we played the final round, you wanted a tailwind on 2. Green was driveable. I actually hit it OVER the green off the tee, setting up an easy pitch (I had downwind 3 as well, which I have driven in the past, but pulled the drive and landed smack into an upslope)

TL tees must have been different -- Legends are playing #2 from the tips.

I reached the 18th at -13 knowing I needed an eagle to match the current leaders. And lo and behold, I had a 24-26 mph tailwind. I landed on a bit of an upslope and didn't get enough runout to reach the green, but from 29 yards out, I did THIS.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 7:52 AM

Congrats on your result!! Very very well done!

• garygun
    80 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 9:23 AM

Nice timing with camera changes. Had to play final round of Glenmorangie Challenge without zoom camera view I have been using forever. Totally threw my aim for a loop with 30 mph winds.

Flashing golf ball. Also very distracting/irritating!!!. (and of course the spastic swing meter returns).

It took me a lot of rounds/time/balls to finally hit a good first round, (with no illusions of winning), but maybe a chance to make the top 70 and win enough credits for a sleeve or 2 of Callaways. Then this crap. WGT sure knows how to take the enjoyment out of the game.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2015 11:21 AM

garygun:
    Nice timing with camera changes. Had to play final round of Glenmorangie Challenge without zoom camera view I have been using forever. Totally threw my aim for a loop with 30 mph winds.

There are only 2 holes on St. Andrews that you can't click on the camera behind the green and line up your shots. 14 and 18.  Those 2 are fairly easy to line up even the way it is without zoom. In almost ever case the behind the green camera gives you the best view to line up your shot. Sure it it's not as easy as just tapping the space bar or in my case hitting the thumb button on my mouse but it still gives you a fairly good way to line up your shot. Shoot I line up almost all my shots like that and have for almost 3 years. There are only 1 or 2 holes per course that the behind the green camera doesn't give you the best view to line up your shot. 

RSS