Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wolf Creek Sweeps

rated by 0 users
Fri, Dec 31 2010 11:46 PM (4 replies)
  • Calafort
    50 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 4:16 AM

What's their secret?  I haven't been able to break 200 - yet look at the leader board, and some players are under 50!!!

Ok - I am using beginners clubs.  So that must be a huge factor here!  But even so, how can you hit the green on number 8, but stop the ball in time to get a good score?  Does back spin operate on a 3 wood?  Not in real life!!

Similar question about number 5.  I need a 3 iron to clear the bunkers, but can't get it to stop before the rough!!

Any hints?? :)

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 1:08 PM

Calafort:

What's their secret?  I haven't been able to break 200 - yet look at the leader board, and some players are under 50!!!

Ok - I am using beginners clubs.  So that must be a huge factor here!  But even so, how can you hit the green on number 8, but stop the ball in time to get a good score?  Does back spin operate on a 3 wood?  Not in real life!!

Similar question about number 5.  I need a 3 iron to clear the bunkers, but can't get it to stop before the rough!!

That's your answer. With my clubs (raptures), I been around 50-60ft a few times.  #8 is the 168 yard I think right over water? If so, any head wind and my ball stops on a dime. If it's tail it runs maybe 10-12 ft at most.

Beginner clubs have lower trajectory, so when they hit & ball falls it tends to run.

Hope it helps

-wgticon

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 5:12 PM

Calafort:

Stay away from the beginners clubs... use the starters. Pray for a headwind on 5...

Nothing else to say really but happy new year...

• Tequilataz
    1 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2010 11:46 PM

You didn't mention what balls you are using.  I can only assume it is the standard ball.   WGT Tour-S balls  with full backspin will greatly improve the stopping power, However hole  5  at Wolf Creek is  difficult to get within 10 feet, for me anyway, But it is possible . On hole  8 , depending  on the wind, I  target the distance at  165 yds for  say a 13 mph tailwind and at  around  180-185 for  a strong headwind and have no problem landing near the pin.I use G-10 irons  which deliver good  spin, a relatively high trajectory, and allow for the use of a 6 or 5 iron on Hole 8. I also use Tour-SD balls which have spin and distance ratings of 2 . Hope this helps

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2011 6:32 AM

mohuyu:
    Stay away from the beginners clubs... use the starters.

Yep, use the starters.  I just stayed on the #5 green with the starter 6I and aim about 8 yards right of the pin then adjust for wind from there.

RSS