Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New golf balls available

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 13 2009 3:08 PM (9 replies)
  • Script
    621 Posts
    Thu, Jul 9 2009 1:00 PM

Anyone try any of them yet?  If so, what was the result.  My real game isn't good enough to be affected by the ball I choose but maybe this is different.  Appreciate any comments. 

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 6:16 PM

Well I finally bought the G-ID set. I think I'm seeing a little more distance, like 5 yrds, maybe. Slows down the swing meter a bit, but this hurts me as I'm more adjusted to the faster meter with the Taylormade clubs. Plus they wear out, been about two rounds, and it's more than halfway used up.I bought the red ones so I can see it better inflight though. : /

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sat, Jul 11 2009 11:39 PM

I bought the Gold coloured G- ID balls and one of the thing I noticed right away was the extra distance.  Drivnchaos is spot on that it gives you about 5y extra, although i've found that with the shorter irons it is a little less.  The other thing these balls also does is it slows down the meter for all the clubs, here i have to say that it makes the meter run more evenly and smoother, especially the putter.

I used the new TM R9 TP driver and this new ball plus my normal tour starter clubs and posted a 28 on Bethpage black for the weekly 9-hole tourney ! The driver help me reach the green in regulation for most holes and even though i am using the old starter putter, the new ball really helped me hit the meter well and i didn't miss a putt all round, plus I sank 2 huge putts on the last 2 holes (not sure i can do that with a normal ball and meter!) to make it -7 for the round (7 birds except for hole 15 & 16).  Now these balls don't last very long but I think if you used it wisely you will get your money's worth, I certainly don't recommend you use the new balls to play a social round or during practice.  Also try not to hit into water or hazard cause you'll loose it completely, which is fair enough.

There's one thing which I'd like to find out though. The Gold G-ID is priced at 55 cr where as the other colours varies between 47-49 cr with the white cheapest at 44 cr.  Now they seem to all have the same specs so my questions is do they all perform exactly the same way ? if so then why are they at different price ? also why is the white ball so cheap comparatively to the coloured balls, perhaps they don't last as long maybe ? I hope someone can help me with these questions. 

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 12:01 AM

I have to agree with Cool on this one also, the  gold G-ID  outperform the rest.

• Script
    621 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 5:52 PM

I confess...Finally spent 44cents for the white WGI D balls.  Just used up the last one so now I can go back to the free ones and see if I can tell a difference.   Since I got in on the amex 2 for 1 credit deal back in June I also got some clubs and a putter.  That'll create a little doubt about what had the most impact but since I doubt I'll ever win anything, I'll just enjoy the game.  Probably will also experiment with other clubs as they come out. 

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 6:10 PM

I see a difference...yes I'm going further but at the expense of my meter slowing which actually has messed up my drives.  I'm very used to the fast meter off the tee. That R9 driver with that ball has taken me to places I've never seen before In Bethpage !  I keep practicing going back and forth between my old ball & the new ones.

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 5:50 AM

For those of you who do not like the swing meter speed change, get the B-XD balls.  They still give you the added distance, but there is no 'feel' stat to the ball.  They are also more durable and CHEAPER!  Sounds like a win, win, win for you guys!

Lee

• Script
    621 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 2:29 PM

Got the budget B XD's and played a couple rounds then went back to the freebies.  The sample size is way too smal to have any real meaning but I think practice will help (at least me) more than any additional yardage from the upgrade balls.  I did seem to notice a definite putting advantage with the 'expensive' ones... maybe one or two strokes a game... but not until after going back to the freebies.  Here I had thought my putting skill had improved!  I'll just keep experimenting and practicing.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 3:01 PM

Great attitude Script, I admire that for sure! It's not easy, but your work ethic will pay off!

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 3:08 PM

After playing the GI-D  balls for a while it seems that the slight decrease in swing speed has actually helped my game.  I'm been using the Taylormade clubs since they came out and the faster swing meter kept me from hitting the mark, with any kind of consistancy, but I kept using them and started impoving. After buying the GI-D reds I thought I'd made a mistake slowing the meter down again. But now after getting used to to it, again, It seems that I have the speed I need. I'm now hitting the sweet spot better than ever. I recommend trying different combinations of clubs and balls, for a couple rounds to adjust, and see what works best for you.

RSS