Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 2015 British Open

Fri, Jul 17 2015 2:00 PM (57 replies)
  • bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 3:20 PM

Ive a feeling Rory and co wont be shooting a 51 around there this year, unless they takes a few PB pills.

Bubbs

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 3:36 PM

SweetiePie:

MartyFlanagan:
    when did people start calling it the British open lol

My Pop, who is 67, says he can't remember when it wasn't called "The British Open", here in America. He said it has only been perhaps over the last 15-20 years that the big push, new training and forced feeding of Americana to calling it "the Open" has been taking place. Most here still prefer calling it the "British Open", same as with the "Canadian Open", the "Irish Open", the "Australian Open", and so forth. Here, and most other places the "US Open" is considered top banana, or perhaps toe to toe with the "Masters". While the "British Open" is the oldest, to deem it "The Open" seems pompous and not valid. Like it or not, Bobby Jones and American TV is what gave it it's current status. Fact of life. ~SP~

good info, it must be just americans that call it the british open, its not even that british, its more scottish/english but it is meant to be coming to portrush N.I in 2022 i think, all th signs and advertisements say "the open" in big letters and still people call it the british open, its funny  

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 4:01 PM

MartyFlanagan:
    it must be just americans that call it the british open

I'm sure this is true, there are some 'old timers' here that still refer to the "US Open" as the "National Open". One thing that 'is' locked in stone is that no resume is complete without "The Open" included with it. I love it (The Open") and look forward to this year's installment, now that I know St. Andrews as intimately as a greens keeper...it should be special to watch with so much knowledge.  ~ SP ~ 

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Mon, May 25 2015 4:11 PM

Been a golfer and a watcher of the major championships for many years.

In the US, the Open is always the US Open although it used to be the National Open for many years.    The British Open as it is called in the US was always the Open Championship outside of the US - I assume because it was the first national championship, in reality today virtuall all countries have their own version of their national championship.

I still call the British Open, the Open Champaionship and our Open, the US Open.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 1:22 PM

would be great to see it as an event on here.

having said that, in real life, i've already got my tickets for the hospitality tent on the 1st tee......free drink all day and a meal plus vip pass to the course :)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 8:06 PM

thebigeasy707:

having said that, in real life, i've already got my tickets for the hospitality tent on the 1st tee......free drink all day and a meal plus vip pass to the course :)

Getting pi$$ed up and then trying to walk the course are mutually exclusive, but I wish u well.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2015 9:06 PM

thebigeasy707:
    i've already got my tickets for the hospitality tent on the 1st tee......free drink all day and a meal plus vip pass to the course :)

I used to like and respect TBE..........

Now......

I really dislike you....and that's right...not a jealous bone in my body.....effer LOL

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2015 1:46 AM

thebigeasy707:

My bucket list is to stay in the Hotel on the 17th.  mmm, that would be good.

Nice to see you back TBE :)

-Roger

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2015 8:20 AM

WGT can have their own version of the Open Championship if they want, however what made both the US and British nice for the WGT community was that they supported the WGT version.   We got hats, USGA membership, etc. from these organizations in the past.  

Today we get credits for qualifying, making it not seem as valuable or that you are a part of the real tournament.

I'm not sure what changed and why in terms of the US Open.   I do know that after RSG there was an issue with the course that was hosting the British and an agreement could not be reached with WGT and since then it seems that no agreement exists between the R&A and WGT.

I would personally like to see WGT try to get a tie in with the PGA and have both the US Open and the PGA every year adding those courses.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2015 6:19 PM

TarheelsRule:

I would personally like to see WGT try to get a tie in with the PGA and have both the US Open and the PGA every year adding those courses.

You bet, seems only normal. Better still would be for the WGT cast & crew to treat themselves to a little working vacation to New South Wales, Australia and tackle Muirfield Golf Club...I have never heard a word less than supreme about it and that it is an "all you can eat" golf course, that eats back severely  ;-}

RSS