Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Pitch shot hit the back side of the cup ?

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 8 2015 5:19 AM (8 replies)
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2015 7:47 PM

replay.aspx?ID=f125cf90 2c84 4a53 a843 a49000f189a7

Has this happend before ?

replay always shows flag and standard greens.

I removed the flag like on every shot ! 

it was a pitch with full back spin ! 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 1:04 AM

Hi

looks like it did just do that. I havent seen such action actually.  i suppose it's plausible

:)

-wgticon

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 2:01 AM

+1

Full bs might cause the zzzip, and, magnifying a screenshot ot the hole and the shot, there's a hint of a ball in white pixels to the left of the flag - a bounce from the rim is well possible.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 5:25 AM

siggipj76:

Has this happend before ?

replay always shows flag and standard greens.

I removed the flag like on every shot ! 

it was a pitch with full back spin ! 

Yes. I pitch quite a bit and almost always use fbs and the way the shot goes at the cup it is very possible it hit the back of the cup. I've seen this as well . I'm sure you've sunk a pitch that's taken one hop and dropped. Well this one just missed the drop and hit the edge of the cup, like you surmised.  Just your plain bad luck on a nice try.  :-)

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 7:34 AM

I hit what could only have been the back of the cup from about 80 yards out once.  Very unusual, but happens once every 5th blue moon Sunday.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 10:56 AM

WGTicon:
    I havent seen such action actually

You should try playing with the same "vem" as the rest of us when we play.  ;-)

Seriously though,  I've had it happen a few times.  The worst one that sticks in my mind was CCC #10.  Late click land  in greenside bunker,  pulled pin, flopped and it carried to the cup but caught the edge and bounce dead left and ended on the last blade of grass possible for me to hover my feet on the water just below the green on the slope. lol

Was my lesson to not hit it so hard.  ;-)

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 1:06 PM

hpurey:
    The worst one that sticks in my mind was CCC #10.

Yes but that was probably in the days before the yellow callys........they would have gone in!!

But to the OP, yes I have had this and I too surmised it caught the lip of the cup and bounced away. Unlucky though.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 1:06 PM

hpurey:
    The worst one that sticks in my mind was CCC #10.

Yes but that was probably in the days before the yellow callys........they would have gone in!!

But to the OP, yes I have had this and I too surmised it caught the lip of the cup and bounced away. Unlucky though.

• borntobesting
    9,622 Posts
    Fri, May 8 2015 5:19 AM

I've never hit the back of the cup but on # 18 At St. Andrews I once hit the side of the cup and the ball ended up against the fence at the back of the green just barely staying in bounds. Went from what was an almost certain birdie if not a holed out eagle to a very unlucky bogey. 

I do think that what many players are thinking is  bug hitting the pin when the pin is pulled is actually the ball hitting the lip of the cup. The sound is almost identical.

RSS