Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wind and Spin

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 4 2015 7:06 PM (2 replies)
  • TyronShoelaces0
    16 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2015 12:51 PM

1. How do you determine the wind difference? If there is a 10mph head wind then how much more do I have to hit the shot. Does 10mph wind = 1 yard on the club?

2. Spin control. I am not sure how to use actual spin on the ball. If I move the green dot all the way down then that should mean backspin? Correct? Can someone explain this to me?

3. Elevation. How does elevation effect the shot exactly? I think I have elevation going down figured up but what about up?

Thanks!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2015 6:47 PM

All of your questions depend the clubs and ball.

1. Shots that have to travel further are affected more by the wind. I play approximately 1.1x the wind when I'm hitting a full 3 wood, but only 0.25x the wind when I'm hitting a 50 yard wedge.

With starter irons I play 0.5x the wind - i.e. I would add 5 yards when playing into a 10mph headwind.

2. Correct. You can also use topspin, but that's best with high-trajectory clubs to get a couple extra yards of rollout on the greens.

Be aware that backspin does shorten your shots somewhat, though not too much at your current level of equipment. I use full backspin on most approach shots when I play with starter gear.

3. Again, this depends on the trajectory of your clubs. With high trajectory, it's pretty much 1:1 (3 feet = 1 extra yard). With med-high or medium, you'll need more to get up the hill... but you'll see a lot of extra rollout even with full backspin. Long putts on those holes are simply a fact of life.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, May 4 2015 7:06 PM

1.  100y shot into a 10mph will result in approximately 105.8 adjusted yardage.  150y shot into 10mph is around 158.7.  200y w/ 10mph is 211.6.  100y shots divide by 1.7.  150 divide by 1.15.  200y multiply by 1.15. 

Are these somewhat random % I'm pulling out of my a$$?  Yes and no ;)!  Depending on what wind chart program you use they'll all be similar to my numbers.  For winds at 45 degree angles divide the number by 1.707 and then adjust that number according to distance from the pin.

2.  Spin.  My 60 degree wedge is rated at 75y.  When I hit 100% with no spin, no wind, no elevation into a green I get 73y like clockwork.  When I put spin all the way forward I get 75y.  When I put spin all the way backwards I get 71y.  Other clubs work similar but results will vary depending on your set of clubs, ball, distance, and trajectory of said clubs.The more back spin you add to the ball the more it will be affected by the wind.

3. 3 Feet +/- elevation is equal to 1y.  When shooting to a steep decline it's very easy to stick your landing.  The opposite is true when shooting uphill.  You're ball, even with higher lofted clubs will have a hard time stopping and have quite a bit more roll.

RSS