Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Platinums or Blacks?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 2 2015 9:46 PM (29 replies)
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 1:56 PM

Feeling frisky, what nike ball should I splurge on for a weekend of fun wgt and just grip and ripping?

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 2:55 PM

IDK, but im going to give the Nike blacks a try 4 the first time, still like the meter of the Max pro+ balls( for the R11s) and wish they had a dot or two more spin, who knows i might like the 4.0 meter and extra feel of the Nikes & they last longer too..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         :edit , must be nice to have 3.5 meter irons, :-)   (looking forward to late 2016 to grab those)  theres a lot more ball options 4 ya, to bad the Nikes arent in yellow "yet"..

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:10 PM

1enigma1:
    edit , must be nice to have 3.5 meter irons, :-)   (looking forward to late 2016 to grab those)  theres a lot more ball options 4 ya, to bad the Nikes arent in yellow "yet"..

LOL,  to be honest, the 3.5 meter speed seems fast after a while.  When you get used to them they lose their slower meter feel.    When I had the R11 irons I would play a few practice holes with the starter ball and then switch back to the 2.5 feel Callaways.  They seemed pretty slow after that lol.

And yea, too bad the Nikes aren't offered in yellow, I'd play them here more often just because lol.  Wouldn't be suprised to see them here now that some of the Nike balls are offered as Volt yellow probably to go along with the color/colour  on the Vapor gear.

I just can decide on which of the two L90 Nike balls to try out, equal distance/spin  or 4.6 spin and 5.5 distance.  I have seen the Nike Blks in play but not so much the platinums.  I find it funny outdriving the Blacks with a L37 yellow Callaway in muli player rounds with both players using the 287 yd Berthas.  Albeit not every drive, but enough to say hmmmmm and the other times usually just being behind the Nike Black by a yard or two.  

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:38 PM

hpurey:

LOL,  to be honest, the 3.5 meter speed seems fast after a while.  When you get used to them they lose their slower meter feel.    When I had the R11 irons I would play a few practice holes with the starter ball and then switch back to the 2.5 feel Callaways.  They seemed pretty slow after that lol.

I just can decide on which of the two L90 Nike balls to try out, equal distance/spin  or 4.6 spin and 5.5 distance.

The lower spin calloway balls will consistently go as far or further than the high spin nike balls with the 97/100 nike irons using full or a lot of backspin....

personally w/ the vapors I would go with the lvl 61 nikes or higher spin lvl 81's and save money...you don't need any more than that

I feel ya on getting used to the meter, that's why I switch back and forth between the 97's and 100's then occasionally throw in a few with the R1's lol

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:40 PM

fatdan:
    personally w/ the vapors I would go with the lvl 61 nikes or higher spin lvl 81's and save money...you don't need any more than that

Thanks,  I'll check them out before i was anymore cr's than I originally intend to lol.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:46 PM

It's fussy ball territory, and the more spin the even fussier iron play wise with BS settings.  The L61s / 81s are plenty of ball anyway really, and for a weekend blast more is a waste of money.  

Basically agree with FD.

Fway permitting try just a half a hint of BS off the tee with the driver (L81 ball anyway), and watch it fly, LOL.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:54 PM

Jimbog1964:

It's fussy ball territory, and the more spin the even fussier iron play wise with BS settings.  The L61s / 81s are plenty of ball anyway really, and for a weekend blast more is a waste of money.  

Basically agree with FD.

Fway permitting try just a half a hint of BS off the tee with the driver (L81 ball anyway), and watch it fly, LOL.

I agree,  B/S on the high spin balls can have funny outcomes(from the tee & fairway) if using to much B/S, mainly i want to  check the meter out on the Nike blacks..

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 5:17 PM

went with the L81's.  I remember liking the L71's back when they were the top ones out, but 81's have slightly slower meter.

Thanks for the advice all.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 5:48 PM

This is an easy one for me...PLATINUM....I have no gifts of skill and I must rely upon the combined attributes of this ball which for me eliminate all and any inconsistant suprises. As was pointed out, there are several balls here of different brands that can outdrive the Plat with a sometimes yea or a sometimes nay....too guessy for me; I don't like that. I don't welcome suprises or any of the "oh my, looky here's"  ;-}

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2015 6:35 PM

hpurey:

went with the L81's.  I remember liking the L71's back when they were the top ones out, but 81's have slightly slower meter.

Good choice, have fun and use less back spin LOL

RSS