Help › Forums

Re: DOTS OFF THE GREEN

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:45 PM (29 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2019 3:33 PM

Tiewaz:
    I cannot explain why this post is here from 1 of my WC squad members, in order to organise his match....I'm also confused & will be in touch with Jep directly

It may be that he can get on the forum but that's all he can do for now.  If that's the case the WC thread may have been better but I've posted his message in our CC forum.

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2019 4:33 PM

alosso:
    2) is your voice strong enough to cover four years? There are a few doubts ;)

i'm almost believing Alosso has a sense of humour, truth or lie?

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2019 1:33 AM

I guess that’s why I putted so poorly Tuesday afternoon. I kept looking for the dots but the only dots I saw were the spike marks from the few other players on the course. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2019 12:43 PM

borntobesting:

I guess that’s why I putted so poorly Tuesday afternoon. I kept looking for the dots but the only dots I saw were the spike marks from the few other players on the course. 

Well Joe, if they start moving - get worried!!

When I lived outside New Orleans, there were moving "dots" all over the course!  The locals lovingly called them "water bugs" (translated as giant roaches!).

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2019 6:08 PM

Hi

JFidanza:

This creates a new level of challenge but although it would be super hard because of the limits of WGT's viewpoints (i.e. the camera cannot move around the green as in other games)

A life without dots . . . . .     bliss!

Just like the wind. . .   they lie!

Cheers!

Rich

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 3:26 AM

JFidanza:

'create the option' was the OP suggestion

There would be nothing wrong w/ this in general.

I found this thread by accident, but reading through it I completely agree with you. If I set up a game with Sin and we both played it with no dots what possible harm is it doing anyone else.  Or maybe a cc competition would produce an unexpected winner. 

JFidanza:
    Natch, many WGT would like to have WGT focus on other things rather than offering options suggested by players. 

Maybe that's fair enough, although I've no idea if making it an option would take much effort or not.  None of the (other) replies mentioned this, they just said how daft they thought it was.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 1:27 PM

DodgyPutter:

JFidanza:

'create the option' was the OP suggestion

There would be nothing wrong w/ this in general.

I found this thread by accident, but reading through it I completely agree with you. If I set up a game with Sin and we both played it with no dots what possible harm is it doing anyone else.  Or maybe a cc competition would produce an unexpected winner. 

JFidanza:
    Natch, many WGT would like to have WGT focus on other things rather than offering options suggested by players. 

Maybe that's fair enough, although I've no idea if making it an option would take much effort or not.  None of the (other) replies mentioned this, they just said how daft they thought it was.

I agree that suggesting an "option" is perfectly fine, but the very next post by Icon correctly noted why it would not be implemented and even JFidanza's post explained in more detail why it would take a tremendous effort to implement enough detail to be able to "read" a green without dots - or something akin to that.

WGT might be able to just have an option to "turn them off" but it might work as well as the latest change to autoequip clubs!!!  We might find the dots disappearing in the middle of a tournament, or never know if they will be there or not!

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:19 PM

DoctorLarry:
    I agree that suggesting an "option" is perfectly fine, but the very next post by Icon correctly noted why it would not be implemented and even JFidanza's post explained in more detail why it would take a tremendous effort to implement enough detail to be able to "read" a green without dots - or something akin to that.

Surely if you agree that the option is perfectly fine then the rest of the paragraph is irrelevant.  wgt simply give the option, without more detail if needs be, and anyone that wants to take it can.

Icon didn't (correctly or incorrectly) note why it would not be implemented, he did suggest it was unlikely to be.

The idea that we'd be blind without the dots isn't really right either. I've played most of the greens literally 100's of times and even with my poor memory I've some idea of where the slopes are. 

I've not really got a strong opinion about this, I was just saying I thought the negative reaction was a bit over the top.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2019 2:45 PM

Actually I said the suggestion was fine, but we are getting into the weeds - so to speak (happens in my game a lot).  As a former and still ocassional programmer, and victim of many other programmers (I think they like the term "developer" now), I am not a big fan of changes in a massive program like this one - as I noted.  You never know what might happen!

I will totally suggest that we would be "blind" without the dots when we start playing, given the state of the data that is available to WGT - and therefore available to us.  I know many of the greens a bit, some not so much, and some not at all!  I do agree it might be an interesting challenge to add into some tournaments or moderator challenges (for more experienced players tham me!!)

Anyway, I agree there was too much ado about this - probably both ways!

Cheers!

RSS