Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I swapped my hybrid in favor of a 64 wedge

Sat, Dec 4 2010 10:18 AM (6 replies)
  • 68mustangfan
    36 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:05 AM

I'm still trying to figure out whether that was a good idea or not. I just really wanted to increase my precision around the green because my ultimate downfall in a round is usually leaving myself putts that are too long for my level of skill.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 10:15 AM

Seeing as how courses should play rather short for a Tour Pro, I don't think you should need the hybrid.  Pretty much all par-4's will be driver + wedge/9-5 iron and the only reason you'd ever use the hybrid is to get on par 5's in 2, but the hybrid isn't going to help much there b/c it mostly comes down to luck once you're that far away.

Wedge is definitely the better choice.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 12:30 PM

68mustangfan:

I'm still trying to figure out whether that was a good idea or not. I just really wanted to increase my precision around the green because my ultimate downfall in a round is usually leaving myself putts that are too long for my level of skill.

Ditching the wood for the 64 degree wedge was the best thing I ever did - as CM said you hardly need the hybrid but you'll be using that wedge a lot.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 1:11 PM

Just make sure you space out your wedges, Increases your options no end.

• 68mustangfan
    36 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:35 PM

Right now I have a 54, 60 and of course a 64, is this a good wedge set or should I change it?

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Fri, Dec 3 2010 2:53 PM

68mustangfan:

Right now I have a 54, 60 and of course a 64, is this a good wedge set or should I change it?

From memory your PW goes 100 full swing and your other wedges go 85, 65 and 50 respectively. IMO the gaps between them are pretty much even (15-20yds) so it looks good in terms of range.

You can also use punches to fill in gaps well.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2010 10:18 AM

68mustangfan:

That's not a bad set at all. Lately I have dropped my 3 wood as well and am using the Ping tour W 54 56 60 and 64. And for a few rounds I even dropped my Driver and added the starter lob wedge as well But that was not a wise move. BPB from the master tees with a 3 iron was a fiasco. 

RSS