Help › Forums

Re: buying a new putter

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 24 2015 9:51 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 6:16 AM

A good putter  helps if you are a good putter. I like the scale on the Nike Method, 10, 20, 50, 100, 150... since I find it a lot easier to find 9 on a scale of 10 instead of 15 and 17 on a scale of 20 instead of 30, but I guess that whatever scale you have, you get used to it.

If you hit ding often, you want to know if it is your reading or your putter that missed that birdie.

That said, just as important as aiming the shot is the calculation of the power. If your putts  are  2 feets short just as often as they are 6 ft long, then your aim wont matter much.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 7:04 AM

Joebus500:
    Does upgrading your putter really help.

If you learn it it will. You don't buy putts with a new putter, though,  just a tool to make better putts. Whatever you decide to do will be worthless unless you commit to learning the putter.

More precision and balance is always going to help but not if you don't give yourself time to learn how it plays. This means many rounds over many days. That doesn't happen in a  free rental weekend, either. GL  

p.s., That Rossa is a tremendously popular putter with  a lot of long time players and for good reason-it works.  :-)

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 10:01 AM

I've seen a ton of legends putt a perfectly acceptable round with a starter putter.  Of all the clubs to upgrade for a reduction in strokes, the putter is what I'd put dead last on the list (minus the fairway wood).

A better putter will help, but only marginally.

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:50 AM

alas, its not the putter, but the puttee!!

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 11:53 AM

go with the Rossa(daytona) ! good putter for the price!  MANY good players use it.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 2:21 PM

Joebus500:

Does upgrading your putter really help. I have a L35 spider but want to improve my putting, will investing in a Nike 2000 credit putter help a lot? 

Any help great fun. 

In all honesty what you need to work on is your short game .

G.I.R. 78.70 %

Avg. to Pin 18 ft.

This is what is hurting your putting . You have good clubs to play with you just have to learn how to use them . Learn your wedges and how to hit the punch , pitch , and flop shots . Better approach shots will help your putting much more than an expensive putter . So hold off on the putter and work on your short game as that will cost you much less .

Once you get your distance closer to the pin by say 12 - 11 ft. from the stick then think about the putter . The Versa L70+ will take you as far as you want to go . The 96+ Versa is for those of us who have gotten spoiled by the L70+ one and still want to putt even better than we do now . Good luck with your game . :-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2015 2:50 PM

lonniescott711:
    Learn your wedges and how to hit the punch , pitch , and flop shots . Better approach shots will help your putting much more than an expensive putter .

Aint it the truth! Punching and floping to 2ft shot after shot after shot is a helper ;-}

• xxxhogheadxxx
    949 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 9:07 PM

Now my advice to all of you asking these questions (OP) is to buy the best equipment as soon as it rolls out.  Do not delay!  Spend the credits as if there was no tomorrow.  Hurry!  Don't Wait!

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2015 12:12 PM

lonniescott711:

The Versa L70+ will take you as far as you want to go . The 96+ Versa is for those of us who have gotten spoiled by the L70+ one and still want to putt even better than we do now . Good luck with your game . :-)

The days when I had the level 79 Burners, the R9 driver and the 'beginner' putter were the most fun.

Years later and 1000's of credits gone on fancy equipment , I'm hardly any better.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2015 9:51 AM

After reading many good things here in the forums and from my friend mantis0014 , I finally purchased this putter and have not touched my level 35 Spider since then. 

Odyssey Versa #1 Black Putter (L33+)

And it's true, for faster green speeds the Odyssey holds the line better at longer putts. And is more forgiving for miss dings when compensating for breaks. Beautiful putter IMO

• PAGES
RSS