Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Need help L22

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 26 2015 12:39 AM (9 replies)
  • KMuehlbauer
    7 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 4:41 PM

So I have been playing again and getting frustrated in the game.  Ranked up to Amateur but now the game is to hard for my clubs.  I did get a set of new irons which I like quite a bit, but I can't justify spending 50 bucks to get woods, wedges and a putter.

I just played in a tournament and I don't see a change in ever coming close to even scoring high enough to get credits.  I play on facebook and they don't do the videos, and they took the trialplay away it seems too.

Is there a solid wedge combo package you can buy? the only sets I saw was for woods/iron package.

Also what are your suggestions on a better putter and wedges than the starter?

What I was looking at getting and would this be a good setup?

I already have the TaylorMade rocketbladz (I do like them once you get used to them)

Driver: I really want the  Callaway big bertha driver (ton of credits but would last a long time) Unless someone with experience says otherwise.

woods: completely open to suggestions  

Wedges: Instead of going Cleveland since they are more expensive, it is between the ping Gorge, and the taylormade atv.

Putters: I have no opinion.. I putt pretty well with the starter, might not need a new putter.

Opinions are always welcomed.. also if there is away to be competitive without have to spend a ton of money please let me know that as well.

I find my biggest struggle is lack of distance off the tee.. 225 yards of the tee on a 450 yard par 4 does not help.

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 7:39 PM

do survey's..... get all the good stuff free... :)

peace

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 8:15 PM

It was a long time ago for me, but I don't remember buying much at all until I got to Level 79, and then bought theBurner irons.

However I was gifted the K15 driver very early on and that made a huge difference to my game, even with starter irons still in my bag.I also had the Satin wedges ( discontinued sadly ) which were brilliant. Some top players still using them.

My suggestion is get to level 42 or thereabouts and see ur choices in iron sets and drivers. You have the i25 and G25 irons at level 35, some decent drivers at level 40, and the Ping Gorge wedges at level 42, only costing 295 credits.

Don't waste ur money on low level Cleveland wedges, they don't work.

regards

OeJ

• Vandwemke
    296 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:02 PM

KM

There are a lot of high level players who have never bought anything except balls, driver and putter.

A good driver is needed to compete on the long holes. A good driver will get youclose enough for the WGT irons.

I spent the money (too much) but, if I was to start all over again, it would be, a WGT set of irons. I would buy my driver and wood, 3 wedges and a putter.

Hope that helps 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:05 PM

Those two 34's on Pinehurst and Merion are pretty good scores, which are hard courses to play.

Make sure you play every day to keep the XP bonus running.  Few games a day will give you 2000 points to level up. 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:15 PM

He signed up through Facebook and if I read his post right surveys and videos aren't available to him.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:27 PM
    If you signed up through Facebook then save yourself a lot of hassle and quit before you buy anything. Then sign up through WGT.com.
  • alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 10:49 PM

As stated before: No buy now! The Starter clubs will be good in length until Pro tier, even to Master if you accept a few difficult holes.

And yes, you won't contend in tournaments unless yo have top equipment - there are too many talented and "extremely talented" guys around.

If you are short on credits, be very reluctant in buying - only if you don't stand the wait any more. And, one buy will not be enough, unless your patience reaches till lvl 83.

In detail:

Wedges are the prime helpers, but wait until lvl 39 (ATV) or 42 (Ping). If you go for those Pings, the shortest lvl 18 Ping is ok as a complement.

Then, a 3WD is a budget driver replacement. Look at R11 @ lvl 31(?).

Don't buy a putter below 500 cr.

The first "very good" irons and driver/3WD are G25 @lvl59 (88,000 XPs). Any buy before may be only intermediate.

In general, slow meter equipment is expensive. Therefore, faster balls as a budget solution. At some time, perhaps as an advanced Pro, you may try the WGT balls, from the bottom up. B-ES are good for the game, Tour-SD do wonders, but they wear and get lost, causing a steady credit flow to the company.

Be aware of one Golfers' Virtues: Patience, and have fun!

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Sun, Jan 25 2015 11:24 PM

Agree with aloso, wait for higher level before buy any equipment.

The only thing you have to buy just now is a TM R11 which you can use as driver and fairway wood  (Hybride R11 can help too). And later the wedges ATV.

Putter and irons dont need to be change before tier master. Anyway dont buy irons set with less than 3.0 backspin and max range 200 yrds.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jan 26 2015 12:39 AM

Great advice from Alosso. Being in the US you should have plenty of chances to accrue credits via offers, surveys and vids etc.

And to reiterate, the "extemely talented" newcomers are always willing and waiting to take credits, so be warned if you place credits on the line.

RSS