Help › Forums

Re: How to get great at WGT?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 24 2015 1:42 PM (20 replies)
  • skccvb
    799 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 12:40 PM

cj19:
    Looking for wisdom from the WGT community on how one becomes really good at this game.  

Well, first you might want to define what "Really Good" means to you in terms of WGT accomplishments. Also, the old saw about "How do you get to play Carnegie Hall? ....

Practice!"

You have 110 ranked rounds, those who might be deemed "great" at this game by any standard have played thousands. Also play "multi-player" games against tough competition and learn from their game play.

Personally I recommend setting goals for yourself along the way. Make a list, and check it off as you progress. There is loads of room for improvement in many of your stats, for example. As you play more, better equipment will be available for game improvement, especially irons and wedges. Chart these clubs for your club/ball performance: full shots no spin, full backspin, topspin, punch, out of rough...learn how to use spin on your wedges esp, full backspin pitches, chips and flops. Chart these distances. 

Use a chart for putting for your specific putter/green speed--this one is excellent: 

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80998.aspx?PageIndex=1

When you can play well without having to refer to any charts you have created or are using (or only rarely)---you will be "very good" at this game! lol

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 1:00 PM

"How to get great?"

There may be discussion about the way, but the objectives are quite clear:

- get the best equipment,

- get extensive practice (make notes),

- play consciously & intelligenty,

- live with good and bad moments for enough time to eventually break through.

This includes without pretension of completeness:

- have enough time,

- have enough financial recources,

- make friends that help you,

- be lucky to have a smooth game environment (computer, internet connection, server access).

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 2:02 PM

alosso:

"How to get great?"

There may be discussion about the way, but the objectives are quite clear:

- get the best equipment,

- get extensive practice (make notes),

- play consciously & intelligenty,

- live with good and bad moments for enough time to eventually break through.

This includes without pretension of completeness:

- have enough time,

- have enough financial recources,

- make friends that help you,

- be lucky to have a smooth game environment (computer, internet connection, server access).

I'm assuming you want to be one of the top 50 players:

All of the above +

Learn all the shots not just a couple and I mean learn so you know which ones to play and where to play them them so they become automatic.

Learn to putt...all the really good players putt 60/70% one putt.

Learn to play every course

Now did someone say PRACTICE. 

Good Luck in your quest to be a top player on WGT>

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 2:13 PM

Play 16 hrs or more a day, keep upgrading your equipment, and never complain, and learn to putt.

• bonesalone
    102 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 3:08 PM

renniw52:

Play 16 hrs or more a day.......

Hahahahahaha

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sat, Dec 6 2014 5:50 PM

Look mine profile page, help sheets with wind charts, yardage charts and how to get the corrects spinning on ball.

• patrickmar
    245 Posts
    Sun, Dec 7 2014 7:45 AM

skccvb:

Use a chart for putting for your specific putter/green speed--this one is excellent: 

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/80998.aspx?PageIndex=1

First off hey Steve is be awhile, that chart might get you in the ball park but it depends on putter and ball types not to count course greens run different. 

my advice for individuals is practice, learn your putter increments on distance and short games is key. shots over 20 yds i use full swing only because of accuracy this is why you need to know your club increments. 18 yds to 8 yds pitch shots and chip 8yds and down.

what helped me most of all was playing alt shots and match play games as i was coming up the levels. as a legend i played alt shot on WGTLS against the best of the best and yes i got schooled by a lot of very good tour legends. lol this is where i learned, by watching their shots and playing against them and working with me thanks deanbarr, rickirulz and tinybo for the schooling for the player i am today.

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sun, Dec 7 2014 9:33 AM

Mine last post was offer to cji9 to be help to him.

The 15 Legends and Tour Legends who has made post to mine wall aks for "all" mine notes (that 50 pages work in 4 years) I is say sorry to be disappoint them.

• NorCalMega
    179 Posts
    Sun, Dec 7 2014 11:42 AM

cj you should take KB up on their offer...

• tiger319
    1,186 Posts
    Mon, Dec 8 2014 4:15 AM

cj19:

Looking for wisdom from the WGT community on how one becomes really good at this game.   Not interested at all in any cheats.   I've been playing a few months and have average around 69.  Have upgraded driver to R1, irons to TaylorMade, putter to Ghost, balls to Nike, and use either Putter Pal or a homegrown meter.  Now seem to have hit plateau.  Can consistently drive in fairway, play upwind / downwind and elevations, etc.   Problem seems to be getting irons closer than 10 ft on approach.  Is there a general guideline on how much full backspin takes off the distance of an iron?

Not trying to make this too formulaic but really enjoying WGT so far and looking to maximize the time I can spend on it.  Thanks

Practice..

RSS