Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Is a high number for meter speed slow or fast?

Mon, Feb 5 2024 11:55 PM (47 replies)
  • ostfriedel
    2,050 Posts
    Tue, Dec 5 2017 12:30 AM

TripleBe:

If the putter number is hi the swing meter is slower? 

Yes, TB, higher number means slower meter. 5 is slower than 4 and so on.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Tue, Dec 5 2017 7:03 PM

PaulTon:

TracyMax:

Icon's answer is pretty typical for WGT's-----vague and confusing while avoiding the question. :-)

He's saying that two different iron sets both rated at 4 dot speed will not necessarily have the same speed as each other and similar for same rated balls from different manufacturers.

Paul is correct.  I.e., Clevelands highest level wedges and ATV's highest level wedges both have a meter speed of 3.5 however, the Cleveland's meter speed acts more like a 4.0 rating which produces a significantly slower meter. 

This is especially noticeable when playing "set of the week" tournaments.  The putters and or clubs might have the same meter ratings your used to (meaning they match the meter speed of the clubs you normally use) but their in game speed is quite different.

• emmieking
    13 Posts
    Tue, May 15 2018 2:15 AM

Thank you for posting this question.  I had the same trouble trying to figure it out!! :D

• TripleBe
    12 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2022 5:26 AM

dues that include high ball numbers? be cuss if it dues there is something rung with da meter i have a club meter speed 4.5 an a ball 3.5 meter still go's fast + it jumps an i know it is not my windows or my computer.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2022 9:21 AM

TripleBe:
    dues that include high ball numbers? be cuss if it dues there is something rung with da meter i have a club meter speed 4.5 an a ball 3.5 meter still go's fast + it jumps an i know it is not my windows or my computer.

You sound like someone who needs ultra slow 7.0 meter balls. Beware of falling asleep, though.

• mstbob
    3 Posts
    Wed, Dec 21 2022 4:00 PM

fmagnets:

Best ignore Icon's inability to answer a simple question in this case ;-) 

WGT confusingly describes the club and ball specs as meter speed, so it is logical to think of a higher number being a higher speed. This is not the case though. Think of the spec as meter slowness, so the higher numbers give you more slowness.

I rented a set of irons and the meter speed when out of control fast.  Why would an upgrade of clubs be more difficult to use?

How can I change this?

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2022 8:47 AM

The starter irons, if that's what you were using before your rental set, have a meter speed of 4.5, whereas the Max Precision Irons are 1.5. The higher the number the slower the speed.

You could buy a ball to slow them down, again the higher the meter speed value for the ball, the more it will slow the meter down, it's kind of like a brake, the slower the meter speed (higher number) for the ball you use, the more braking effect it has on your club speed.

Is that just more confusing?

• TheDudemeister69
    1,561 Posts
    Thu, Dec 22 2022 10:40 PM

pdb1:
    Try and match your equipment meter speeds with your ball speeds .

Could you explain what you mean by that?

• CloudWalker4
    2 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2023 11:29 AM

Thank you . I was also wandering. 

RSS