Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting tips

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 30 2017 6:50 PM (30 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Dec 1 2014 8:31 AM

With so many different green speeds, from slow to champ, much of the posted "tips" will come from a player actually playing that particular speed from day to day until they move up. The advice is cogent because of that fact and seems to be mostly of value and is helpful. Advice from an expert champ green speed wizard would most likely be bogus regarding "tips" for standard speed greens other than to hit it real, real hard. 

• JohnHendo123
    19 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2015 4:26 AM

i agree mushy01

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Fri, May 1 2015 7:42 AM

The breaks at the end of the putt affect the ball more than the same break at the beginning of the putt.   That's physics. It's all based on ball speed.  the faster the ball, the more it negates the affect of the break.  No different than a bullet from a gun being affected by gravity.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Sat, May 2 2015 9:28 AM

Regardless of green speed I've found it most beneficial to me to:

• All putts always gets a quick dash in reverse view to see an initial glance approximation of where to aim
    • All putts get forward zoom before I initiate stroke and visually read/verify line
    • Putts under 10 feet use reverse view and find break approximating the flow in each 2X2 grid box.  I use Tournament greed speed as my default for this method and for each level up or down have my own 1.1, 1.2, .9 multipliers, etc.
    • Putts over 20 feet always use Tekoma's Vertex method http://s28.postimg.org/eb957l959/vertexx.jpg.  It's amazing how many putts drop using this.
    • Putts with little or no break use my under 10 feet method.  Longer putts with no break use the 10 ft method in conjunction with Tekoma's for maximum overlap and read.
    • Off Dinging putts with severe break drastically increases your success rate.
  • Guy19661
    2 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:41 AM

I am at level 49 and pro.  I feel that I could be farther along if not for the putting.   I play almost everyday and struggle with this part of my game.  I upgraded balls and putter, but I still struggle with consistency.   Is there any tips to move my game along.  Very frustrating to me.

• frisco8834
    33 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:10 AM

Always look at putt from reverse (hole) view. 

Invest in a good putter with slower meter

Invest in balls with slower meter

Use the squares to align putts (many forum tutorials) 

Focus on hitting ding

Green speed must be accounted for. One 11 greens: .85 X % @ 15', .83 X % @ 30', .82 X % @ 60', .8 X % @100'+

Elevation change must be accounted for.  1" drop in elevation subtract 1' off distance

Yips and Yaps kill you even when you perfectly aligned

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 6:18 PM

Guy19661:

I am at level 49 and pro.  I feel that I could be farther along if not for the putting.   I play almost everyday and struggle with this part of my game.  I upgraded balls and putter, but I still struggle with consistency.   Is there any tips to move my game along.  Very frustrating to me.

The reason that you putt poorly is due to the fact that your AVG dist to pin is 26ft . So you need to work on your short game good shot selection is a must and you need to learn the punch and flop shots with your wedges and short irons . Once you add those to your short game and you will get better results with your putting . The closer you get your approach shots to the pin the easier your putts will be . Hope this helps and good luck .

• HandyMcNab
    58 Posts
    Mon, May 29 2017 7:37 PM

Everything is manipulated ,otherwise how could they sell you a putter that was better than the starter. It is only common sense really.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, May 30 2017 4:54 PM

HandyMcNab:

Everything is manipulated ,otherwise how could they sell you a putter that was better than the starter. It is only common sense really.

Right, and precision, forgiveness and balance mean nothing.  I guess your 407 Ranked Rounds in almost 3 years makes you an expert.   Have you been fitted for your tin foil hat yet?  Just wondering, as you seem to be going down the Conspiracy Theory road. 

RSS