Forums

Help › Forums

Re: *Putting by the Numbers - UPDATE*

Mon, Feb 18 2019 2:32 PM (88 replies)
  • TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 11:03 AM

11BC2:
    $hit seems weird I know.  I had hell trying to learn the technique, however, once I was able to start reading the correct flow of dots a lot more putts started to sink.  A good way to practice is on Bandon Dunes.  Just hit to a green and keep wacking the ball around to you get a 10F putt.  Then use the "JC Flow" method until the putts sink and take a few notes.  After a while you'll start to recognize the speed of dots and correct flow.

that's what I don't understand, how can you figure aim without knowing the speed of the break involved?

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 11:58 AM

TracyMax:
    that's what I don't understand, how can you figure aim without knowing the speed of the break involved?
    The only thing I can add is it takes time and experience to properly judge the "dot flow".  It's important to find a view that is most aligned with the hole, otherwise you'll be making bad flow reads.  Sometimes there are not straight views and in those cases you have to approximate the best you can.

I.e., take reverse view.  Lets say your player and ball are to the bottom and right of the holes current position.  In situations like these you'll need to ADD more "flow %".  If you're on the bottom and left side of the hole you'll need to Subtract "flow %".  Obviously a perfectly straight ball to hole view is ideal but we don't always get that.

Anoher tip to correctly read "flow %" is to make a quick initial assessment by breaking down an approximation like so;  25% - 50% - 75% - 100%.   So you're asking yourself, are the dots (flow %) showing me 1/4 break? 1/2 break? 3/4 break?  100% flow and 100 break??  From this point you just make an educated guess and make the necessary adjustments. 

A 4F putt with a "25% flow" would be 4*.25 = 1FT aim point, or left/right edge of the hole.  A 10F putt with a "50% flow" would be 10*.5= 5FT aim point, or exact spot between center hole and 1st row of white dots........so on and so forth.

Hope that helps.

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 8:38 PM

11BC2 recommended i read this,

so i read it at work tonight, just got home and omg its unbelievable, ive holed some puts you wouldn't believe lol.

what i quickly found its all in the maths if u get that right and the speed of the flow and hit the ding its in every time.

with straight and up hill putts i go 1 foot past, with down hill putts i hit spot on and double what ever distance you came up with, i had a 9 foot down hill putt and i hit it virtually sideways and it still went in :) that was with double flow dots and doubling the distance for being down hill.

Cant wait to try this tomorrow :)

• nigyrob
    92 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 9:32 PM

What a fantastic thread.

I can't wait to get to try this out this weekend.

Thankyou.

• micheldess
    819 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 10:04 PM

The problem for me with that method is i don't understand all that he write with my poor english and with that can't applicate.

I try to translate with help of site from english to french but  that translation is even worse than my real english lol

No hope for my putting skill

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2015 4:10 AM

Tekoma:
    Don't step on other's efforts
    +1 :)

While I use the "Jc Flow Method" quite often the initial presentation of post 1 can throw quite a lot of people off, probably to the point they stop reading any further and won't even try the method.

A few examples are not using Pitch grid.  I find that invaluable on quite a few short putts (I didn't always but now i do).  Also, what is wrong with WITCHCRAFT!!  ;)  If it sinks the putt sign me up! ^^

So thank you to both JC and Tekoma.  I've tinkered with and kinda made JC's my own little personal method w/ its own kinks and twist (like power% representing add/- flow%) etc, but I like the method nonetheless.  

And Tekoma has masterfully presented (with video's and weird robot voice!) his ideas and techniques, many of which I use on a daily (every round) basis.  Vertex putting is still the bomb and is almost like gimme's on quite a few holes.

Cheers!  Sean

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2015 5:39 AM

+10000

Tekoma:

JCSneed:
    I've read a lot of these tutorials and watched some of the videos attached to them and I have to shake my head and wonder how these people make putts with any consistency.

They miss the ding (and badly) most of the time.

Their methods of aiming are as much witchcraft as anything else (aim from the tip of your avatar's nose - align to the heel on your left foot - switch to chipping mode and aim using the chipping grid, although the chipping grid doesn't tell you anything more than the putting grid).

They fail to tell you how to adjust ball/swing speed.

They fail to tell you how to accurately account for the differing speeds of breaks or how elevation changes affect speed.

They fail to accurately describe how they arrived at their magical method.

Most of the videos show them dropping 30 footers that result more from luck than any method (if you can find any method).

Who are They?

Be a man..say the name..!

Don't step on other's efforts,  just to make your point !

I've been following your thread from day 1 and was happy someone coming out with new ideas...I support anyone tries to help others !...I don't have prejudice on your methods, was simply waiting for them to take a shape.

Just because you don't understand other's methods, doesn't give you the right to make fun of them..Respect the effort,  if possible support it..!

Be a man !

• Joshnosh
    548 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2015 6:06 AM

Tekoma:

JCSneed:
    I've read a lot of these tutorials and watched some of the videos attached to them and I have to shake my head and wonder how these people make putts with any consistency.

They miss the ding (and badly) most of the time.

Their methods of aiming are as much witchcraft as anything else (aim from the tip of your avatar's nose - align to the heel on your left foot - switch to chipping mode and aim using the chipping grid, although the chipping grid doesn't tell you anything more than the putting grid).

They fail to tell you how to adjust ball/swing speed.

They fail to tell you how to accurately account for the differing speeds of breaks or how elevation changes affect speed.

They fail to accurately describe how they arrived at their magical method.

Most of the videos show them dropping 30 footers that result more from luck than any method (if you can find any method).

Who are They?

Be a man..say the name..!

Don't step on other's efforts,  just to make your point !

I've been following your thread from day 1 and was happy someone coming out with new ideas...I support anyone tries to help others !...I don't have prejudice on your methods, was simply waiting for them to take a shape.

Just because you don't understand other's methods, doesn't give you the right to make fun of them..Respect the effort,  if possible support it..!

Be a man !

Im using both now , both have definite merit 

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2015 9:49 AM

JCSneed:

They miss the ding (and badly) most of the time.

Their methods of aiming are as much witchcraft as anything else...

HAHAHA Clueless.

No-one tell him, shh.

RSS