Forums

Help › Forums

Re: *Putting by the Numbers - UPDATE*

Mon, Feb 18 2019 2:32 PM (88 replies)
  • xlviii
    502 Posts
    Wed, May 20 2015 10:07 AM

oneeyedjohn:

An example of  how stats can be screwed is when I played 300 rounds during the 17 days of the London Olympics in 2012.

I paid no regard to my scoring, it was all about getting the rounds done.

One should also bear in mind that since Uneven lies was introduced, the detrimental affect on stats playing this way is huge. I have played UEL since it started, again with no regard to how it may affect my stats.

Was that your own Olympics? 17+ rounds a day is crazy. As to UEL, yes, they can seriously impact stats versus a player who never plays them. They would even have some effect  on putting stats as your distance to pin is likely further than with even lies.

• alterryo
    9 Posts
    Fri, Jul 10 2015 5:17 PM

I find this forula a bit cumbersum ie dtermining -.2 of 14t hen subtract that. how about 14(.8)+2=13.2.

for each slope speed -(30% for turney, 20% for fast etc,) multiplying allows for quicker decisions while playing.  A good bit of the time I can do this mentally w/out a calculater (or fingers)

just a thought.

Terr

• JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Fri, Jul 10 2015 9:53 PM

• JohnFlynno
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2015 6:22 PM

JCSneed,

Sorry it has taken me so darn long to respond.  I really appreciate the pictures you provided in your previous post.  I wanted to let you know that I figured out how to use your putting method.

I have almost completely eliminated my three-putts which, for me, is huge!  I still don't make many birdie putts outside of 15 ft, but that's ok for now.

Thanks again!

John

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2015 11:13 AM

Not sure how active JC is but I use his technique on virtually every constant flow putt so I would like to thank him yet again ;).  At JohnFlynno, if you ever want a putting practice partner it's easy enough to set-up a non-ranked stroke game with a friend with 90 sec timer and practice^^.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2015 2:51 PM

xlviii:

oneeyedjohn:

An example of  how stats can be screwed is when I played 300 rounds during the 17 days of the London Olympics in 2012.

I paid no regard to my scoring, it was all about getting the rounds done.

One should also bear in mind that since Uneven lies was introduced, the detrimental affect on stats playing this way is huge. I have played UEL since it started, again with no regard to how it may affect my stats.

Was that your own Olympics? 17+ rounds a day is crazy. As to UEL, yes, they can seriously impact stats versus a player who never plays them. They would even have some effect  on putting stats as your distance to pin is likely further than with even lies.

At my old club in Surrey, UK, we used to do 6 rounds of 18 holes for charity ( MS ) in one day, starting at about 6:30 am and stopping after 3 rounds for some lunch, then off again for another 3 rounds.

Strangely enough the scores generally improved as the day wore on, and of course we didn't line up putts, just get there and hit it.

About twelve of us, all single figure handicappers.

The trick to keeping fresh was to change our socks a few times 

• JCSneed
    54 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2015 3:16 PM

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2015 8:26 PM

So if the dot in the middle of grid away from the hole equals 10' distance, why is the distance from that dot to the first vertical grid line from the hole only 5'?? If the center dot in each grid is equal to 10' of distance you're going to have a big break at say 30 ft. I've tried it and its too much break on an avg putt. What am I missing here?

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 6:34 AM

Your aim point is dependent on the reading the "correct flow of dots" in conjunction with green speed, elevation, and distance.  If you have a 10F putt with a 60% flow then things look like 10*.6 = 6F aim point.  Identifying the correct "flow %" is the hardest part.

Downhill putts are a bit tricky.  What I like to do is add Xamount of "flow % (break)" which depends on the adjusted putt strength.  I.e., Say I have a 10F putt which is 2 inches below my ball.  That leaves me with an adjusted 8F putt on Tournament greens (just my tier speed, don't read anything more into this) which I need to hit 20% less from the original distance.  So if that 10F putt has a "50% flow" I'll add 20% for a grand total of 70%.  Now we have 10*.7 = 7F aim point.

With a 20F putt which is 6inches below my ball I'd be looking at around an adjusted distance of 10F on Tournament greens.    So now we're hitting the ball with 50% less power than the shown distance.  If we still have a "50% flow" you simply add 50% more (adjusted power) which leaves you "100% flow" or 20F aim point.

$hit seems weird I know.  I had hell trying to learn the technique, however, once I was able to start reading the correct flow of dots a lot more putts started to sink.  A good way to practice is on Bandon Dunes.  Just hit to a green and keep wacking the ball around to you get a 10F putt.  Then use the "JC Flow" method until the putts sink and take a few notes.  After a while you'll start to recognize the speed of dots and correct flow.

Good luck.

• Catzas
    368 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2015 10:18 AM

Just played a game with tournament 11 speed. It was more like Fast 9. I'm a pretty good putter and don't use a calculator. All my putts were coming up short whether I was putting up or down slopes. So I dug out my calculator and started using it, and got the same results. Always short. As a rule I'm hardly ever short, as I believe in going past the hole a little if I miss. Never up never in etc. Had this a few times before but today was really evident. I don't mind missing the hole if I make a bad putt, but just hate leaving balls looking into the hole.

catzas

RSS