Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Spider Vs Versa

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:46 AM (2 replies)
  • JordzNZ
    75 Posts
    Sun, Oct 26 2014 11:33 PM

Well i am closing on level 92 and am wondering if the level 92 spider is still the go to putter or is the 86 versa better?

I am a ding putter and find this is the part of my game that is hurting me most. 

(not to sound rude or anything but please only reply if you have actually used these) 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Oct 27 2014 12:58 AM

I use the Spider 92 and it's my putter of choice. I also have the Versa 97 (I know you said the 82) and its precision is a tad higher but I score better w/ the Spider.

The Versa 97 has a little more balance than the Spider 92 and it holds the line (the V97), but a little too much for me when I want to 'spin' the ball. I'll learn how to use it more in the future.

Looks like the Spider 92 and the Versa 86 are similar in stats but the Versa has a slightly quicker meter.

I am both a ding putter & an off-ding putter. Sometimes, putting a 'spin' (off ding) on the ball has more rewarding results IMO on a heavy cant or slope.*

In the video at the post below* you see the off ding ball misses and stops near the hole, as the 2nd putt was dinged and just misses the hole but rolls down the slope. The 3rd off ding putt drops.

I rented the Nike and Rossa but didn't have much talent for applying them correctly.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/261118/1888827.aspx#1888827

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Oct 27 2014 2:46 AM

Putters hmmm, gets v personal indeed.  One mans honey almost the next ones poison type stuff.

L86 - no real clue as never gave it too much of a test on a free rental (if at all trying to remember) .

L70 Versa v L92 Spider though:

Never kept the L92 in my bag as considered it a real ding machine whenever I tried it, and I like to mix n match a little.  That's fine for you though.  L92 has a faster meter, but gains in precision.  A shallow meter dinged it will go exactly where you aimed it, but miss and that lack of forgiveness sees it go where you missed.  That lack of balance (compared to th4 Versa) means it's distance control is not as good the Versa with the meter set deep, and so longer breaking putts you are best staying as shallow as possible, and accepting longer travel back to ding.  That slight lack in the balance is important for the way putt, and would be the main thing I would consider when weighing what I am gaining with th extra precision.  .

Personally I would wait until a free rental as two pretty good putters, but all so personal..................

RSS