Re: RSG # 14 par 5 plights

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 21 2014 12:13 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 10:52 PM

Does this help?

A punched 64 ATV wedge, you can see how much power and spin was applied from the screen shot. I ended up a touch short, still an easy birdie putt but I didn't give it a chance to go in.  That's a L33 Cally ball by the way.

Damn, I replayed the shot and wanted to post it here but it appears you can't post replays from playing single holes, it just takes you to the tee to play it yourself.

I finished 1 yard short.  The ball landed about 1.5 short and ran on a bit before backing up a few inches.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Oct 18 2014 11:04 PM

JFidanza:

OK I'll try a punch...oops, I can't get close to the ding on a punch, weird. Anyone use a punch on that one? What kind of yardage & spin if you do?

MainzMan:

Does this help?

A punched 64 ATV wedge, you can see how much power and spin was applied from the screen shot

yes yes yes

a punch, great choice, I agree, genius decision IMHO all that forward motion, but not too much.

Thank you everyone for the insight, happy hitting

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 1:28 AM

Since mapping out choked full distances, I hardly ever punch nowadays.  The full on the cleve 64W can stop dead with the right spin all the way down to 50% power.  If you want a little roll then a little less spin does the trick.

I now hit full shot down to about 30 yards and then the flop takes over.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:19 AM

I love the full shot w/ the Cleves, and normally I'm always using it. But on that shot, if I magically miss the ding but a tad the results are drastic so I considering which shot will have less disastrous potential.

Since I don't use 100% FBS on the pitch I'll compare the results of a pitch, full and punch shot even w/ slight off-ding and see which one is more forgiving - to lessen my 'margin of error' (because it seems like I'm making a lot of errors lately)

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 6:28 PM

JFidanza:

I love the full shot w/ the Cleves, and normally I'm always using it. But on that shot, if I magically miss the ding but a tad the results are drastic so I considering which shot will have less disastrous potential.

Since I don't use 100% FBS on the pitch I'll compare the results of a pitch, full and punch shot even w/ slight off-ding and see which one is more forgiving - to lessen my 'margin of error' (because it seems like I'm making a lot of errors lately)

I also use the high level Clevelands. In this situation (strong headwind) I hit the punch shot anywhere from ~75 out down to 30 - 35 yds out. The real key is avoiding ANY backspin; in fact with the 64 deg CG-15 (50 yd punch) I put a bit of topspin on the shot, with a couple yds xtra power - over and above that extra needed for wind you face.

Any spin applied to to punch shots has a big impact on actual distace achieved so it's a good idea to try it out in solo practice mode and experiment with various spins on the same shot, using the mulligan feature.

With practice, you'll be puching those Cleves like Paganini on a Stradevarius. from 80% - 100% swing power the punch yardages are linear. 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:21 PM

gr8flbob:

I also use the high level Clevelands. In this situation (strong headwind) I hit the punch shot anywhere from ~75 out down to 30 - 35 yds out. The real key is avoiding ANY backspin; in fact with the 64 deg CG-15 (50 yd punch) I put a bit of topspin on the shot, with a couple yds xtra power - over and above that extra needed for wind you face.

That's great to know, thanks. Again, recently due to a strong headwind I found myself on the edge of the green again.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 11:49 AM

10/21 attempt

ok this time I have a high distance Nike ball and a tailwind. I was using Cally 37s (2.5 meter) thought I'd try the Nike 75 ball (3 meter) to slow those clubs & wedges down a tad.

Even with a lot of trials, the pace on the 3rd ball of the sleeve seems to have increased its speed and quirkiness around the ding - and on this approach I hit early and find myself in the green's sand trap. Not a problem, I have experience now, and sand saves and cleveland shots are just a difference in numbers, I can hole out, sometimes.

Distance and ball spin is great, and in the deeper sand a full shot is unequivocal. The meter w/ the Nike ball is slower than I usually am used to, but I like them and I have the perfect meter pace down as I'm on my 3 ball.

I aim a little more left than needed as I want to completely avoid any past issues w/ that hill near the pin. Here we go...

oops, slight slice, post ding..ball hits near hole but gremlins come out (I'm joking) and tap it down the hill, again. I see a pattern, again.

ok then aim left more if that happens again, or try to hit the ding, press earlier (more still) or maybe try the 'aim right and intentional hook' to avoid this situation again...next time.

skccvb , yes I would have parked it but I missed the ding, yet again

↓↓                              ↓↓                                    ↓↓

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 12:13 PM

That specific shot is full bs 60 Cleve around 64%

• PAGES
RSS