Re: Can you actually stop a shot on SA # 14

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 24 2014 12:44 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JordzNZ
    75 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 8:13 PM

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=d76c9c4b-9192-4076-86a8-a3c5002c4221

This was my best attempt i have ever had at actually stopping a shot on this green. The balls hits in to a bank pops up one bounce and rolls 41 yards (or 123 feet if you prefer) and off the back of the green. 

What i want to know is that actually a way to stop it on the green or am i just dreaming?

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 1:25 PM
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 1:41 PM

JordzNZ:
    What i want to know is that actually a way to stop it on the green or am i just dreaming?

That thread does a good job of discussing the possibilities but the only way I have ever been close is by playing to the flat fairway on top of the hill to the right front of the green. Struck properly, the shot lands on that flat and rolls onto the green.

Extremely difficult and the only way I know how that's done was by accident. I missed a swing late and watched it happen.  Been trying to do it again ever since with so-so success. I usually have a pitch back if it's not a flop from the front.  :-)

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:26 PM

YankeeJim:

That thread does a good job of discussing the possibilities but the only way I have ever been close is by playing to the flat fairway on top of the hill to the right front of the green. Struck properly, the shot lands on that flat and rolls onto the green.

That thread shows the diagram* and 2 replays** by alberish35, landing the ball to the right of the green by the hill.

YJ are you saying you have a different place? Where is it exactly? More on top of the hump?

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/244073/1764655.aspx#1764655

alberich35:

replay.aspx?ID=873e0704 7b54 4d7c a57f a35e00501b5c

replay.aspx?ID=01d9f4df 8652 4a64 b1ca a35e0067f7d1

Edit : le point important est qu'il existe cette zone de fairway où tu peux faire rouler la balle et la freiner un peu avant d'aborder le vert.

basic translation: the important point is that there is this area of ​​fairway where you can get the ball rolling and brake a little before turning green.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 2:38 PM

Most folks play too much club on approach. I find best way to have a (long) eagle putt is to play left of the hole, and if you guess at the right distance the approach will roll on to the left instead of rolling back off the green...it is anywhere from 1-3 clubs less, depending on the wind...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 4:32 PM

JFidanza:

That thread shows the diagram* and 2 replays** by alberish35, landing the ball to the right of the green by the hill.

YJ are you saying you have a different place? Where is it exactly? More on top of the hump?

No, that's exactly what I was talking about. Never saw that post and he does a nice job of showing it. IIRC, I was a TM when I did it. LOL. Been a while.  ;-)

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:35 PM

skccvb:

Most folks play too much club on approach. I find best way to have a (long) eagle putt is to play left of the hole, and if you guess at the right distance the approach will roll on to the left instead of rolling back off the green...it is anywhere from 1-3 clubs less, depending on the wind...

This is the way to play it ^ ... you can't fly the ball onto any part of the green from a long way away and have it stop. It must be a rolling shot. The false front with it's dramatic rise will kill quite a lot of the forward motion, but the ball will veer left following the slope of the green. You're left with a long eagle putt, but it doesn't have that much break.

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:58 PM

Under those wind conditions , you only needed either your 3 or 4 iron would have gotten you there . The more wind that you have on that type of shot the less club you will need .Learn how to use the wind to help you with your shots . When your shots hit the banks and hop , you lose any spin that you had on the ball . Also its hard to stop a ball on a slope. 

On that hole you would have been better off making your approach from the left side and not the right . Usually the ball will run up the approach and onto the green . But from your way a definite no go , if you want to stop the shot . Also not with that 3 wood , you will at least need an iron .

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:34 PM

YankeeJim:
    Never saw that post

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Oct 15 2014 8:43 PM

Only way I know is to trundle it up over the right hump (as YJ said I think) or also left in and out the hollow works too.  End up in that false front though and pretty certain bird = OH maybe safe play is not so bad after all.  Personally I pitch or punch now from front or back to either pin, and tap in bird close unless I really miss the ding.  Well unless in that false front, then I tend to putt and promise to be a better perwon tomorrow before I let go:) 

• PAGES
RSS