Forums

Help › Forums

Re: WGT travelling club kit

Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:48 PM (6 replies)
  • LordPercy
    58 Posts
    Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:13 PM

It's easy enough to throw a set of Callaways in the boot of the car and head off for a week......but how do we take our WGT Pings?  

Small screens are inadequate for play, I've tried with my netbook and found the downsizing hopeless for accurate meter reading and shot judgement, plus seems to be a lot quicker as well. Laptop is too heavy to throw in the suitcase or take as a carried extra on public transport.

Had this to ponder this last week when heading down the coast on a working holiday at the V8's, and didn't desire to lose my daily 880 point daily bonus for consecutive days played. In the end the only viable option was to take the netbook and play a daily round with dodgy balls on the CTTH challenge, forgetting about posting even a half decent score. This kept my bonus points level, and enabled me to keep up to date with WGT happenings.

Would be interested to hear others experiences/ideas and the levels of obsession we sink to.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Oct 24 2010 7:36 PM

LordPercy:

It's easy enough to throw a set of Callaways in the boot of the car and head off for a week......but how do we take our WGT Pings?  

Small screens are inadequate for play, I've tried with my netbook and found the downsizing hopeless for accurate meter reading and shot judgement, plus seems to be a lot quicker as well. Laptop is too heavy to throw in the suitcase or take as a carried extra on public transport.

Had this to ponder this last week when heading down the coast on a working holiday at the V8's, and didn't desire to lose my daily 880 point daily bonus for consecutive days played. In the end the only viable option was to take the netbook and play a daily round with dodgy balls on the CTTH challenge, forgetting about posting even a half decent score. This kept my bonus points level, and enabled me to keep up to date with WGT happenings.

Would be interested to hear others experiences/ideas and the levels of obsession we sink to.

Well talk about losing the daily 880 point bonus, I lost mine and had to start over due to a mistake made by my phone company. They mistakenly turned off my internet thinking I was past due when in fact my bill was not due until the next day. It took them 4 hours to sort out the mistake and by the time I got to play a round it was over 24 hours after my last round and my daily bonus was gone.I only got 180 daily bonus points when I finished my round earlier tonight.

For you, if there were a library nearby You could have reserved a pc  and played there. I think I saw a post on here many months ago from a person whose pc crashed and was playing at his local library until he could get his pc repaired.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Oct 25 2010 1:52 PM

I have never done anything strange to get a game in.

I figure driving around cottage country roads trying to steal someones WiFi is normal when the cottage you are in has no internet.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Oct 26 2010 9:47 AM

Stealing WIFI is an option, another option is the Droid phones that act as wifi hotspots and bring your laptop.  Figuring you are packing anyway, whats a little extra weight?

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Fri, Nov 5 2010 12:02 PM

Heck with 5 billion Starbucks around you can surely find one for a 30 minute round.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2010 11:19 AM

LordPercy:
    Small screens are inadequate for play, I've tried with my netbook and found the downsizing hopeless for accurate meter reading and shot judgement

In the long run, it seems to me, they've got to find a way to do a version that works well as an iPhone or tablet computer application - that's where the wind seems to be blowing.

• GooseFrabba
    19 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2010 12:48 PM

Until they come out with a portable fold up desktop, not a laptop, i mean a way to fold up your tower, 28" screen, keyboard, and mouse to fit into my toiletry case next to my toothbrush...i will not be taking any vacations. My "days in a row points" are far more valuable than a vacation, and def. more important than a work trip

How could one survive without playing this game for more than a day anyway????.

RSS