Help › Forums

Re: RYDER CUP 2014 AT GLENEAGLES

Mon, Oct 13 2014 9:38 PM (125 replies)
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 6:30 AM

PaulTon:

LOLserver:
    Missing Tiger in this cup for the US, things were certainly a little balanced towards Europe although not significantly.

Tiger's Ryder Cup record is truly awful, his inclusion would have seen an even bigger defeat for the States.

Tiger is "normally" no 1 in the world, so the US would have no excuses to say the Europeans had advantage in players ranks on both sides. Whether Tiger plays rubbish or not is was not relevant, it was the ranked players participating for each team.

Eric

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 7:24 AM

McGinley showed how to lead a team, even average teams would play above themselves with that kind of leadership.

I think this loss and the fallout will be the catalyst for many changes by the US.  This competition is going to get better.

Super stuff Europe.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Tue, Sep 30 2014 11:43 AM

I think the Tavistock Cup Team matches are more compelling and a greater representation of the where the best players from around the World actually live and play.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Oct 1 2014 2:57 AM

LOLserver:
    The Ryder Cup is still the most important golf competition in the world.

Some say it might be the 3rd most important sporting event now, behind The World Cup and Olympics.

This can be debatable as it's Europe v USA. I must admit though, I was glued to the Telly watching it.

• macscrubbler
    1,790 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 2:47 AM

hi folks

thought someone would mention the spectators make the ryder cup what it is today..we have a couple of half decent golfers from scotland the lad baird who plays in the USA and gallagher, who was out of his depth  fri and sunday, but we still have the greatest galleries in the world.

there used to be a saying  in Scotland called the Hampden  [ our national stadium ] roar ,which was for our once half decent  football team, and it  transferred over for the week of the ryder cup..we get outplayed these days but we will never get out shouted or out galleried ......

the reception was phenomenal  for ALL the players including  Mickleson  but the support given to Tom Watson after the event ended,  was a reminder of how much that man is revered in the home of golf, and he would still have got that reception if the USA had won .

the scots like to see top class golf from whom ever is holding the club....there was reports in the Scottish newspaper that the usa was getting fed up with the contest, but Jim Furyk retorted lets play iit annually .....

by the way folks i have seen Furyk a couple of times and i don't think there is a golfer whom hits the sweet spot  on the ball, from tee to green better  than him  and i have seen most of the greats from 1966 up to today .

better luck next time.

macscrubbler  aka  jimmy the scot

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 3:39 AM

macscrubbler:

...............gallagher, who was out of his depth  fri and sunday, ................

harsh in the extreme .... on sunday, he was 4 under thru 16, no dropped shots, yet 2 down with 2 to play

..................    he lost to someone playing better

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 9:43 AM

I don't know McGinley's thinking behind the pairing, but If you were to fault him at all, it would be putting a player in poor form out with a rookie. Maybe Poulter's 'influence' was a big factor, but  he wasn't playing well, it was hard to gee himself up, let alone his partner.  

It only seems like a mistake when it doesn't work.    

I'll be watching the highlights for the third time since Sunday.  The best tournament of any sport that I've seen in years.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Thu, Oct 2 2014 8:27 PM

Rosey and Sergio skipped the tail end of the Fed Ex cup to rest up and prepare for the Ryder cup. Justin Rose was a birdy eagle machine! Reed played outstanding but I think Justin Rose played even better.

The U.S. can't ever get it together as a team. They did a couple of times. But we don't want to win no 2 times out of 10. I'd like to see get even.

Some of these hot shot money bags should decide to practice more together and prepare like the Euro's did. Idk. I know we all would like to see a more exciting Ryder cup golf. A closer game.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sat, Oct 4 2014 10:52 AM

The US don't have a formula as good as Europe for picking teams, I think that will change too.

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Mon, Oct 6 2014 6:32 AM

Dubfore:

The US don't have a formula as good as Europe for picking teams, I think that will change too.

+1

Agreed. Get back to Azingers formula. It worked in 08 and I feel it could work again. 

Outside of any formula;,  Mickleson was a freaking distraction even before the TEAM departed US soil. WHY on Gods green earth did he have to fly in separately and not with his TEAM and as part of the TEAM. Pleeease. Business! The RC is the single most IMPORTANT TEAM EVENT in golf. The sport he is a part of and the RC TEAM he is also supposedly a part of. My goodness. Give me a break PHIL. You fly in as a TEAM and you leave together as a TEAM. Phil did neither of the two. Who are YOU Phil.

This was just something that irked me right from the start. He knew well in advance when they would be flying out together as a TEAM so to use the, "I had personal business to tend to" before the start of the RC, that is absolute BS, period. Maybe if he would have just set his oh so important personal business aside for a couple days and got more INVOLVED WITH HIS TEAM maybe , juuuust maybe he could have helped the US TEAM and not  been a HINDRANCE to the US TEAM.

Just had to vent,,,,, :< )

RSS