Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Coloured lines on putting/pitching grid

Mon, May 18 2015 8:43 AM (7 replies)
  • Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:08 AM

I see how they can be used on approach shots to gauge how the green breaks in general.

However, when putting, do the dots not tell you all you need to know? I have never really paid attention to the coloured lines when putting as the speed of the dots can tell you the break and elevation etc.

Were the dots added as a feature after the lines?

If there is a good use for the coloured lines when putting I would appreciate anyone letting me know thanks, maybe I am missing something.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:23 AM

Black sections are flat, blue sections indicate an uphill. and red sections indicate downhill.  The more vibrant the color, the more severe the change in elevation.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:43 AM

ApexPC:

Black sections are flat, blue sections indicate an uphill. and red sections indicate downhill.  The more vibrant the color, the more severe the change in elevation.

you left out orange apex lol which should be yellow for caution lol

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:52 AM

Thanks Apex, it helps a lot on working out approaches.

But...on putting...do they tell you anything the dots do not?

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 2:45 PM

My crude observations about the colored lines and how they help me can be found HERE.

The gist of it is that how I've learned a little how a ball reacts going up a bump and then down (or vice versa). This might offer some insight in understanding the difference between how a ball will react on:

for example: a) a long, strait putt on a flat incline, with a slight tilt left/right, that goes up 3 feet to b) the same putt w/ identical distance & elevation BUT on a bumpy green.

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Wed, Sep 24 2014 9:32 AM

That's a good point JF, putts that go up and down and up again (or the opposite) before reaching the hole. When I see those I grimace and ignore and just look at the overall rise/drop, aim and fire away.

I would get a headache trying to work out what exactly is going on otherwise....

Oh, and yes, I get ready for the next putt because I know I'm not sinking this one :)

• Lamiral
    16 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2015 2:23 PM

And what does it mean when sections are orange or sky blue ? Orange is faster than red ? And sky blue is harder than blue ?

• ScottHope
    10,093 Posts
    Mon, May 18 2015 8:43 AM

Orange is steeper than red downhill, skyblue is steeper than blue uphill.

RSS