Help › Forums

Re: When the putting/pitching grid shows slope in feet

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 23 2014 9:45 PM (7 replies)
  • Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 1:47 PM

rather than inches.

So I can see on a slope - the uphill getting bigger in inches, up to 24 inches, and it converts it then into 2ft. Ok so far.

Then the slope clearly continues to go uphill and the marker stays at 2feet. I presume the marker will next change when it is 3ft.

However for putts and rolling pitches in that gap, how would you estimate the actual rise? 

Is there any algorithm or rules on how the slope is displayed (ie feet vs inches sometimes).

Thanks

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 10:00 AM

Safdar1:

rather than inches.

So I can see on a slope - the uphill getting bigger in inches, up to 24 inches, and it converts it then into 2ft. Ok so far.

Then the slope clearly continues to go uphill and the marker stays at 2feet. I presume the marker will next change when it is 3ft.

However for putts and rolling pitches in that gap, how would you estimate the actual rise? 

Is there any algorithm or rules on how the slope is displayed (ie feet vs inches sometimes).

Thanks

hi

you would have to evaluate hole to hole. there is no specific way to perfectly identify that. the elevation just shows you that it's uphill all the way. If highest rise in early, then if yo hit it too hard, it'll run much longer... there is no trick per say for that, just trial and error.

get on that green, in the spot you want to try and hit bunch of putts and note the slope and speed and then take notes.

-wgticon

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 12:38 PM

Thanks for the response icon.

However, as much as I enjoy mapping clubs and getting to know the courses, this is a little much for me. I have started to look at when the "foot" increments are happening and then working out what is going on in between, assuming its a straight line slope in that gap.,..

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:54 PM

Here's two points to take into acount  when putting elevation changes are in feet:

A. the indicated elevation is + or - half a foot! IOW, 3 ft indicated is actuallhy between 2.5 ft and 3.5 ft. You can find where that 2.5 ft point is by dragging the aim point back towards your lie until the reading changes from 3' to 2' - that is 30 "

B. The standard adjustment of 1 foot of putting power per inch of elevation is a rough approximation. I've found that a more precise value is a bit less, at least for uphill putts: for every foot of rise I add 10 feet of putting power. 2 ft ris give it 20 feet extra, 3 ft rise give it 30 feet extra.

• dflop
    1,877 Posts
    Mon, Sep 22 2014 10:49 PM

While we are on putting can anyone tell me what has happened to the putting grid ?   It's been a while since i played and last time i logged on , the putting grid was completely different . 

Anyone ?

dflop !

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Tue, Sep 23 2014 6:07 AM

gr8flbob:

Here's two points to take into acount  when putting elevation changes are in feet:

A. the indicated elevation is + or - half a foot! IOW, 3 ft indicated is actuallhy between 2.5 ft and 3.5 ft. You can find where that 2.5 ft point is by dragging the aim point back towards your lie until the reading changes from 3' to 2' - that is 30 "

B. The standard adjustment of 1 foot of putting power per inch of elevation is a rough approximation. I've found that a more precise value is a bit less, at least for uphill putts: for every foot of rise I add 10 feet of putting power. 2 ft ris give it 20 feet extra, 3 ft rise give it 30 feet extra.

Thank you FL Bob, those two points are very useful.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Tue, Sep 23 2014 11:13 AM

dflop:

While we are on putting can anyone tell me what has happened to the putting grid ?   It's been a while since i played and last time i logged on , the putting grid was completely different . 

Anyone ?

dflop !

The putting grid evolved while you were gone. WGT made some changes.

• dflop
    1,877 Posts
    Tue, Sep 23 2014 9:45 PM

ApexPC:
    The putting grid evolved while you were gone. WGT made some changes

Thanks heaps "ApexPC" i figured it was something like that .  Is there tutorial on the changes ?   I can't seem to find it , if there is one .

dflop !

RSS