Forums

Help › Forums

Re: explanation

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 16 2014 9:58 AM (8 replies)
  • sportfiend01
    454 Posts
    Sat, Sep 13 2014 10:35 PM

Can somebody at WGT  or anybody for that matter, please explain how the greens can change from  game to game or hole to hole .... example  playing tourney 12 greens  have a 20 ft putt  on even lie .... calculate  for green speed  and putt  fall 1 to 2 feet short ....  3 holes later  20 ft putt even lie  calculate green speed  and the 1 to 2 feet short putt from last short putt ... putt and roll 3 feet past   how can there be such a big difference on the same 20 foot putt  within the same game?   This also happens from game to game .... play one game with somewhat consistent putts on the green speed  turn around play the same  course with the same conditions and the putts are consistently short .....adjust for the short putts and start putting past the hole .... when did the inconsistency in the putting greens start and is there a plan to get them back to a normal consistent manner ???

frustrated putter !!!

• tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 11:27 AM

Make sure you use this feature.......

Has really helped me in leaving putts short or going way past the hole.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 4:34 PM

Do you take the wind into account if it is blowing more than about 15 mph?

Wind against the putt will make it roll shorter. wind with the putt will make it roll longer.

FWIW - on real golf courses the green speed is not constant from green to green, nor is the green speed constant through out the day.

• MARKDMK
    231 Posts
    Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:43 PM

ApexPC:

Do you take the wind into account if it is blowing more than about 15 mph?

Wind against the putt will make it roll shorter. wind with the putt will make it roll longer.

Yes that is the most common mistake rookie players make here while putting.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 6:42 AM

ApexPC:

FWIW - on real golf courses the green speed is not constant from green to green, nor is the green speed constant through out the day.

Consistent greens speeds over a whole course and days? Gawd I hope not!

This would be a great feature in the game coding - Varying green speeds throughout the day. Be great if they added in whether there is say moisture/dew in the early morning rounds vs hot dry greens during the afternoon. All geared to your own time-zone.

Anyone who golfs knows there is usually a vast difference between morning and afternoon greens, for the most part anyway.

I mean they may be doing this already and just not throwing any indication of it in the game window. Go along way to explaining much of what happens out there. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 6:51 AM

dedBuNNy:

Anyone who golfs knows there is usually a vast difference between morning and afternoon greens, for the most part anyway.

I mean they may be doing this already and just not throwing any indication of it in the game window

They are and have been doing it for a long time. That's common knowledge and the source of a lot of rants. Not necessarily during one day but definitely from one day to the next. :-)

• sportfiend01
    454 Posts
    Mon, Sep 15 2014 7:17 PM

YankeeJim:
    They are and have been doing it for a long time. That's common knowledge and the source of a lot of rants. Not necessarily during one day but definitely from one day to the next. :-)

Change the green speeds  thats fine ... but when you are playing and you look up and see tourney 12 for a green speed then you should expect tourney 12 greens  not something other than that ... there should be some notation of the green condition 

Ex  Tournament 12 (slow)  or Tournament 12  (dry)  Tournament 12 (soft) 

as a player there is no indication of the condition of the greens other than whats listed as the green speed.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 5:04 AM

YankeeJim:

dedBuNNy:

I mean they may be doing this already and just not throwing any indication of it in the game window

Well, so it is......rants indeed. I really never look too closely at the speed over the course of the day, might see if they do change from morning to late night or next day. 

I don't know what all the secrecy is about, I mean if they're changing at various times throughout the day, that alone would throw off your game and make you pay attention, change balls etc. 

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Sep 16 2014 9:58 AM

sportfiend01:

Can somebody at WGT  or anybody for that matter, please explain how the greens can change from  game to game or hole to hole .... example  playing tourney 12 greens  have a 20 ft putt  on even lie .... calculate  for green speed  and putt  fall 1 to 2 feet short ....  3 holes later  20 ft putt even lie  calculate green speed  and the 1 to 2 feet short putt from last short putt ... putt and roll 3 feet past   how can there be such a big difference on the same 20 foot putt  within the same game?   This also happens from game to game .... play one game with somewhat consistent putts on the green speed  turn around play the same  course with the same conditions and the putts are consistently short .....adjust for the short putts and start putting past the hole .... when did the inconsistency in the putting greens start and is there a plan to get them back to a normal consistent manner ???

frustrated putter !!!

hi

you should also keep an eye on the green between those 20ft... sometimes it may go up or down, so you'd have to keep an eye on that too.

I also, never hit for perfect distance. I always want to be 2ft by on any 10+ft putt. this way I know it will always get there.

-wgticon

RSS