Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting

Thu, Oct 14 2010 12:01 PM (9 replies)
  • Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 5:02 AM

17th 22ft putt slightly off striaght with a 3 downhill hit it 1/2 of my 30ft putter bar and ended up 5ft past the hole

18th 20ft putt slightly off straight with a 3 downhill hit it 1/2 of my 30ft putter bar and ended up 4ft short of the hole

how can this be :-( this is the only instance of this happening and it happen before at Kiawah Isalnd in both the Ready Go tourament i played in the greens played inconstient espeically on the front 9 which is more annoying because your playing for credits

I did hear a theory that it only happens to most players that aren't legends but certain players that are legends it dosent happen so that WGT will get more credits out of the non legends and more money :-(

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 6:47 AM

I have to agree there deccy, i wrote a post somewhere here yesterday halfway through a Ready Go front 9 on kiawah. I was fuming after it. For example, I was 171yds from the pin with a 17mph wind in my back. The pin was at the front of the hole, so i used a 175yrd iron to make sure i was on the green. Low and behold, it stopped 20 yrds from the front of the green. On 3 of the greens i placed my marker left or right of holes with a good degree of slant on them, only to see the ball go straight without turning anytime. I wont be playing anymore Ready Go,s for a long time mate.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 9:21 PM

Try switching from the Beginner putter to the Starter putter.  Both are free and have the same meter speed...but the Starter putter has more precision and better balance.  Always check the green speed and although its debatable, I contend that strong winds will affect distance putts. 

When I started back a year and a half ago, mostly all you had to do was add or subtract a foot or two from most putts and you were good.  Now, with the new green speeds, balls can go way past or come up way short if you don't look at all the factors.  With the meters on free putters, its even harder to judge the difference.

By all means, if you think there is a bug out there, report it to WGT.  

Joey             

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 1:46 AM

Thanks for the input joey. When im on the greens i take the wind into consideration too. I dont know if WGT can see a moving picture when you send in a bug report. I think its only a still shot they see, so it would be useless to do this. Im using the beginner putter because i get the best result out of it, i have tried the others, including 2 that i bought and sold back when i saw they where no good. The thing is, this only happens when im playing for credits, not when i play a practice game.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 2:05 AM

It is overwhelmingly likely that WGT knows a lot more about your shots than you do.

They should have a link to the replay of the shot that you are about to take and the shot that you just took.

They should know exactly what club you used to hit those shots, whereas even the most careful players are only ~99.95% sure, and players, unfortunately, can't check what club they used after the shot is taken (unless it is obvious, such as having mistakenly used a 3W instead of a 3-iron.)

They should also know what sort of random deviation you happened to get stuck with.

They should know elevation changes to a much higher degree of precision.

They are also most likely allowed to see much more detail on the greens and multiple camera views that are not accessible by players.

They should also know the exact angle of the wind in relation to your shot, whereas even the best players can be up to +/- 8 degrees off.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 2:14 AM

Thanks CharlemagneRH. I have a question for you. I bought the spider putter a while back, and even though it says the same meter speed as my starter/beginner putters. it went about twice as fast on the meter, Is this a glitch? Also, I tried the above info and went for the starter putter instead of the beginner, and that meter speed is almost the same as my ping 2010 v2 10.5 driver. What is that about?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 2:42 AM

TWOMINUSONE:

Thanks CharlemagneRH. I have a question for you. I bought the spider putter a while back, and even though it says the same meter speed as my starter/beginner putters. it went about twice as fast on the meter, Is this a glitch? Also, I tried the above info and went for the starter putter instead of the beginner, and that meter speed is almost the same as my ping 2010 v2 10.5 driver. What is that about?

The beginner clubs are special exceptions that have ~.5 meter speed.

All other "starter" clubs have 1.0 meter speed, so I can only assume that the fact that the starter putter shows up as having .5 meter speed is a bug.  I'm not going to go test the putters to make sure, since the fact that all other "starter" clubs are 1.0 meter speed appears to corroborate your belief that it is faster than the beginner putter.

I'd say that this display bug is also present in the Spider putter, if you are correct on that one as well.

The code behind the display is most likely switch/case statements in order to speed up processing.  I can only assume that these clubs used to be 0.5 meter speed, but then were increased to 1.0, at which point someone failed to update the switch/case display code.  In layman's terms, the code is most likely "if putterID=1, then display meter speed of 0.5... if putterID=2, then display meter speed of 1.0.. if putterID=3, then display meter speed of 3.0... etc." as opposed to code where it actually knocks on the putter's door and asks what its meter speed is -- the former not automatically updating to show a meter speed change without someone specifically going to the display code to change it.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 5:11 AM

Thanks CM. That would make sense. Im only here since august, so still wet behind the ears. Happy golfing mate.

• scottpoof1
    8 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 5:22 AM

i started using the reverse angle looking from the hole to me and started sinking putts it seems to give a better perspective  of the putt

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Thu, Oct 14 2010 12:01 PM

scottpoof1:

i started using the reverse angle looking from the hole to me and started sinking putts it seems to give a better perspective  of the putt

Sir, I could not agree more. I always go reverse angle - seems to help a feller see the breaks and whatnots.

RSS