Forums

Help › Forums

Re: When does a 64 at Merion become a bad round?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 22 2014 8:17 AM (7 replies)
  • BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 6:31 AM

When you 3 putt the 3rd after shanking your drive pin high left and you miss 5 footers for bird on 15 and 16, thats when!!!!!!!! And just to add insult to injury, the encore on 17 was missing an 8 footer for bird, although that one didn't really bother me because I didn't consider it a 'makeable' putt. If I could have reversed my fortunes on any 2 of those 4 holes, I earn the Crystal Merion Masher with a 62, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. 16 of 18 greens, and with an avg distance to pin of 8 feet (still don't know how I ever managed that LOL), but the round is forever ruined because of the mess I made of 15 and 16. 64 is still my personal best for the course, but I can't help but feel like I let one get away. 

replay.aspx?ID=d74a032d 37ee 4249 837e a38b00030bb2 - the yips on 15

replay.aspx?ID=3860cc1c ec03 4436 9df4 a38b0003ca50 - the yips on 16

replay.aspx?ID=e0e9c9ca 3ff0 44fb bb9f a38b00045c8e - Par 3 17th, below the hole

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 6:37 AM

BigInigoMontoya:
    64 is still my personal best for the course, but I can't help but feel like I let one get away.

Nice going, it only gets better. The one you missed was Adblock. Sheesh, those ads would drive me nuts in a hurry. Free and easy to add to your browser.  Gives ya more time to think about that 63 coming next. ;-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 4:44 PM

64 is always welcome splender at Merion but, I feel your pain. A single play 18 hole, heavy wind, Champ speed at Merion got in my pants....eagle at 14 took me to -11...did the math (stupid) and par in for 59 (done deal?)...and who knows, been lucky so far....bogey 15 & 17. Sorry little pie..61 

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 9:55 PM

I actually do have AdBlock installed for Firefox, possibly even Chrome too. But I'm playing the game in Maxthon 3.5.2.600. I'm not necessarily sure if Maxthon gives me the most stable flash player and stable meter, but since I rely on free offers in order to earn credits, I need a browser that won't block the media that I actually want to come through. It seems like Maxthon does the best job for me in that regard.  

SweetiePie:
    A single play 18 hole, heavy wind, Champ speed at Merion got in my pants....

I don't even like playing Murrian on Tourney greens. Thank God I'll never have to experience it on Champ greens.....take nothing short of a miracle for me to reach Tour Legend LOL.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Aug 20 2014 4:31 PM

Hey Biginigo ! Just a quick note to cheer you up...yep, Merion, just now 30 on the front, birds at 10 and 11...cruzin...2 putt 9 on 16..a nine!! I punked out..quit. Feel better ?

• BigInigoMontoya
    208 Posts
    Wed, Aug 20 2014 11:07 PM

Well that sounds kind of like the mess I made of the 3rd during Tough It Out III, although that cost me 'only' a triple ROFL.

BigInigoMontoya:

Par 3 3rd: We draw the front pin with a 10mph tailwind, at approximately 10:00pm right to left.  Slayer hits 3i and missed short.  I aim right, miss ding right, and I'm headed for trouble.  I manage to avoid the bunker, but land right in the weeds for my worst lie of the entire tournament.

Not surprisingly, I need 3 strokes to hack my way out of this schmutz and onto the green.  I finally 2 putt for a rage quit triple. Slayer pitched to 11 feet and 2 putt for bogey.

And if it makes you feel any better, my first round after that 64 at Merion was a full 18 at St Andrews........and I couldn't even break 70. From the Master tees. On Very Fast 10 greens. And only moderate winds. Not exactly VandeVelde at the Open on 18, but I consider any round above 69 at RSA to be a 'bad round'.  

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Fri, Aug 22 2014 1:43 AM

SweetiePie:

Hey Biginigo ! Just a quick note to cheer you up...yep, Merion, just now 30 on the front, birds at 10 and 11...cruzin...2 putt 9 on 16..a nine!! I punked out..quit. Feel better ?

9? At least you made it in the hole. I played in a CC tourney back 9 Merion short tees. I thought I might have a chance to drive #16. Landed in some nasty stuff. The only other time I landed in that spot I could not hit the ball without it going OB. I took my putter and made 9  0 foot shots and got the you have reached the maximum score allowed. With a couple of other awful holes trying to drive greens due to the short tees I finished with a great  55. That's right 55 for 9 holes. My worse score here ever. 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 22 2014 8:17 AM

borntobesting:
    That's right 55 for 9 holes

Joe ! Don't you dare try to butter me up ! LOL.....and you finished. Well done !

RSS