Forums

Help › Forums

Re: HELP with putting

Mon, Aug 18 2014 2:23 AM (9 replies)
  • petcat
    1 Posts
    Sun, Aug 17 2014 3:50 PM

can anyone help me-j ust upgraded new putter & balls & got new putter meter with percentage-trouble adjusting-

EG-20 ft to hole- downhill 4 inches- meter shows 30 ft-therefor- 20- 4 ==16ft

50 percent of 30ft ==15 n meter

is this correct?

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Aug 17 2014 4:38 PM

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx Written by one of the best.  GL

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Aug 17 2014 8:35 PM
    The meter isn't linear. Half way down isn't 50% of strength, that would be too easy. Hit a few shots and take notes and you can work out a scale.
  • spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sun, Aug 17 2014 10:05 PM

courteneyfish:
    The meter isn't linear. Half way down isn't 50% of strength, that would be too easy. Hit a few shots and take notes and you can work out a scale.

Also depends on what course and green speeds you are playing on 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 17 2014 10:22 PM

According to some charts* made by RUNWME (with a one putt stat of 65.62%, score av. 57.24 and earnings of $7,135.45) he/she shows different charts for a couple of different putters all on different green speeds.

If I'm not mistaken, all the charts are showing that 50% power is half of 100%. These are all on flat greens and 'ideal conditions' I guess, but there is a likely chance that the game programming has changed. It looks like  he/she isn't playing recently.

Nike and Daytona putter charts

I don't reference the charts personally, as I have similar calculations already, and we all have our own methods, etc.

For example, my experience tells me a short putt approx. under 15 feet needs more power maybe 'for inertia' to get moving , while a really long putt has 'momentum' so I shave off a percentage.

This concurs w/ the idea that the power is not linear, generally, but that's mostly due to the inertia observation above and the almost 'exponential' affects of wind, etc. I still consider 50% of my 60 foot increment to be approx. 30 feet.

(e.g. GENERAL EXAMPLE a putt of 8 feet I'll hit at 9 feet of power, and the same green speed if it was 100 feet I'd hit with 92 feet of power, see what I mean?) 

Results will vary but it's just something to observe.

If it doesn't help -  disregard it. 

If it helps give you a starting point - look into it.

Nike and Daytona putter charts

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Aug 17 2014 11:20 PM

petcat:
    can anyone help me-j ust upgraded new putter & balls & got new putter meter with percentage-trouble adjusting-

If Icon hasn't tweaked this secret, it might still work. Doesn't hurt to try it:

• ScottHope
    10,139 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 1:03 AM

courteneyfish:
    The meter isn't linear. Half way down isn't 50% of strength
    I always thought the putting meter was linear. I know the other clubs aren't. Have I been assuming the wrong thing for over two years?

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 1:20 AM
    The first foot does nothing so half way can't be half strength. Sorry I may have confused.
  • ScottHope
    10,139 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 2:08 AM

Just ran a quick test with my Nike (51) putter on a standard speed (7.9) flat green (St Andrews 10th).

My home made putter pal gives me 134 divisions so I can accurately gauge the following percentages on a 10ft meter.

100% power gives me a 9.5ft putt
    50% power gives me a 4.6ft putt
    25% power gives me a 2.3ft putt
    10% power gives me a 0.9ft putt 

Pedantic?.....Yes I know I am.  : )

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Aug 18 2014 2:23 AM

ScottHope:

Pedantic?.....Yes I know I am.  : )

Keep going, Scott, and also tell us results for a 70 footer! etc.

Your graph is pretty similar to the Nike chart above. I'd try my own test but I'm off to bed.

RSS