Help › Forums

Re: Bethpage 4 - How to Eagle

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 21 2014 2:17 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 2:47 AM

It seems the realistic eagle position is when the pin is in the back, so you have some green to work with, but still it is a low percentage.

Working back from the green, if you have decided not to go for the green in 2, especially when the pin is in the front, it is conservative to drive with a 3 wood to the fat back part of the fairway, taking the bunker and rough out of play. Then you will have a clear second shot to an upper fairway position leaving you a full wedge to the hole.

Trying to drive to the farthest section of the lower fairway, I have found that bunker countless times. From there I have often hit my second in the next set of bunkers, and even my third into the greenside bunkers - yet still got up and down to make par, after playing 3 bunker shots on one hole!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 7:29 AM

Couple of good plays noted.  Balls, wind and indeed green speed all become a factor to some degree.

I prefer the landing on the green method either pin.  I did the below for a friend showing how simple alcs work just fine for a very reasonable game.  The below is from a RR, and these days I would aim slightly more left to find the flattest landing spot.  Probably should have used an iron too, but the 3 wood was a new toy at the time from memory, and still just did an "OK" job anyway:)

(BTW it's bandicam that makes the meter that bad)

Go 6 minutes or so in

:

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 7:51 AM

Jimbog1964:

Couple of good plays noted.  Balls, wind and indeed green speed all become a factor to some degree.

I prefer the landing on the green method either pin.  I did the below for a friend showing how simple alcs work just fine for a very reasonable game.  The below is from a RR, and these days I would aim slightly more left to find the flattest landing spot.  Probably should have used an iron too, but the 3 wood was a new toy at the time from memory, and still just did an "OK" job anyway:)

Go 6 minutes or so in

:

I do the same thing Jim.  If the approach is 220yds or less, then I play for the fairway on the back. Then flop shot.  If I cant get that fairway, then I go to the right for a 27yd-36yd shot using 60yd wedge shot at about 50%

• xXxjasonxXx
    688 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 8:37 AM

here are few ways to play this hole,,, i always try going for the rough above left left side of bunker cause if i don't make it i know how to play out of bunker with a flop shot just as well but would rather have a pitch shot here are some replays of what i am talking about........first one will be approach shot an pitch for eagle then will added approach to bunker an flop for eagle.......

replay.aspx?ID=1ff95674 78f5 4af6 85f3 a37d00fad845

replay.aspx?ID=aa507569 fe6c 4772 860d a37d00fe43ad

replay.aspx?ID=0e3d4650 0c1a 425e 87b2 a37d00feefc9

this is a flop shot with my 50 yrd ATV no spin would prob have dropped if was on faster greens these replays where made from the single hole play an taking mulligans so all u got to do now is go practice these an good luck to ya.......

replay.aspx?ID=acaa24a5 8a84 4062 b7ca a37d01005bd1

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:32 PM

Jimbog1964:

Go 6 minutes or so in

:

that is hole number 3 this thread is about hole number 4

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:49 PM

He said to go six minutes in, that's where #4 starts.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 12:50 PM

fairground11:

that is hole number 3 this thread is about hole number 4

Go to 5:30 to see #4

or use this jump link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYCZPaBQFuY#t=5m27s

Or just CLICK HERE

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 1:13 PM

my apologies i posted that comment without actually watching the whole video

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Oct 21 2014 2:17 PM

Tour master tees-

I thought I had the right conditions, equipment, etc. to hit , at least, somewhere with 15 yards of the pin this time, which would be great...even w/ my new slower meter (via the nike 75 ball) I 'felt it was going to be good'...but I dinged late on the approach.

ok I actually didn't hit the sand like usual - even though I always hit a billion times more yards than needed (joke) but I landed at the rough* before the pin. 'Just give me the Eagle, the dress is in the bag', as Spanky would say. 

A 7yd shot..I think I chose a chip. My lack of ability and experience = ball catches the rim of the cup and rolls away for a dicey putt. Eagle op missed, Birdie putt blown, Par.

Nike ball 75 - 'last ball, buy more at proshop?'   ah, no, back to Call 37 VERY AFFORDABLE or maybe the similar Nike 74 but not that ball again. Sorry, not my style. Not an excuse I'm just saying w/ a slower meter than the Cally 37 I had more dings w/ the Cally so why mess w/ a good thing...

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=c08a98ae-567c-4804-b250-a3cb014d27be

• PAGES
RSS