Forums

Help › Forums

Re: super long shots

Wed, May 4 2016 7:26 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Jacksonkent
    432 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:40 AM

I have an issue with one hole on Kiawah Island the 14th the hole is 240 yards long and if I take my 3 Iron (220Yards) it carries 20 yards over the green 260 Yards.? It is 7 feet down and with a 6 Mph wind, does this make sense?

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 12:06 PM

Interesting that this hole is a challenge in real life, and what is written here may not be the same issue that you are talking about. e.g. Some holes in the WGT game play long or play short, etc.

[#14] The hole actually is harder downwind than upwind thanks to a perched green on a slight diagonal left that rolls off steeply on the far side..the near side brings a steep sandy area ...Landing the ball on this green is hard enough; getting it to stop is the real battle.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 12:59 PM

That's one of those "bowl holes", as I call them.  I basically approach it with full forward spin and using one club lower than I should, depending on wind.  Otherwise, with full backspin, chances are likely that if you land it more than 3 yards short of the hole, it won't clear one of those humps.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 1:27 PM

Several points:

1. The rated yardage of a club is an estimate.

2. Elevation change and wind effect shot distance.

3. An iron's approximate distance rating is based on hitting from the fairway, not sitting up on a tee in the tee box.

4. Assuming no ball spin changes, long shots hit that land on a green roll out more than if they land on the longer grass of a fairway.

• 2DAMFLASHY
    1,141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 1:50 PM

...A GOOD ... safe way

well,,,   what i did any way...when down wind...and that back left pin ..i think yer talk'n about..

is ..just aim center green ... maybe a lil left of center if the wind is to the right like 2-o-clock..

then .. and only use about 3/4  bottom spin or less...

i 4 get what the yardage is ..but lets say its 210 ..to that spot... hit what u think is about 205 ....an see where you land....

presto.....put that in memory banks.... then you can always just add or take off a tad of power or spin... to adjust for diff winds..

into the wind .. with yer clubs...diff story ..u can dang neer  park it next to hole ...once ya get comfy an don't click erly   ... like i spaz and do there  ALOT !!..lol

peace ... GL

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:24 PM

Jacksonkent:
    is 240 yards long and if I take my 3 Iron (220Yards) it carries 20 yards over the green 260 Yards.?

Clubs including some spin settings need to be mapped.  V roughly (assuming tail wind) that hole was playing 231 yards.  Option is to fizz in with spin mapped or not hit it as hard.

Very rough guide 7MPH wind 97%; 10MPH 96% and 12 take 94%.  Tail wind has some flattening affect and Nike balls spin, and so you need to be aware of all that.  Think of rated yardages as very rough almost starter ball guides, and for you to find out what works for your club / ball combo yourself.

Other option for that hole / pin is your 3 wood which goes (roughly for this) 250 yards 100% power and FBS.  That's then 96% power at FBS assuming wind is across only........

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 3:30 PM

Jacksonkent:

I have an issue with one hole on Kiawah Island the 14th the hole is 240 yards long and if I take my 3 Iron (220Yards) it carries 20 yards over the green 260 Yards.? It is 7 feet down and with a 6 Mph wind, does this make sense?

Yes

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Aug 30 2014 12:37 PM

2DAMFLASHY:

then .. and only use about 3/4  bottom spin or less...

i 4 get what the yardage is ..but lets say its 210 ..to that spot... hit what u think is about 205 ....an see where you land....

.. to adjust for diff winds..

I used your advice and she got pretty close as you can see. Might have been my 3i w/ the G25 L59 for that yardage adjustment as you mentioned...and it works. THANKS.

Gifted Nike Red vap ball 42 from WGT !

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=b9b90d7f-55fb-4843-9111-a3970138856c

or click below to see the replay

Replay Kia 14

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 7:43 PM

2DAMFLASHY:

and only use about 3/4  bottom spin or less...

.u can dang neer  park it next to hole 

I'm using your suggestions, this pin was middle green but still...

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Oct 14 2014 8:52 PM

JFidanza:
    I'm using your suggestions, this pin was middle green but still...

LOL  N1!

• PAGES
RSS